Finally getting hydrangea blooms?

CarolinaMatt
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Finally getting hydrangea blooms?

Post by CarolinaMatt » May 4th, 2016, 1:04 pm

I believe my hydrangea is finally getting blooms. This is my third year with my hydrangea and it never bloomed any flowers the first two years. I was about ready to chalk it up as a loss this year. I got it for $5 at walmart so honestly I wasn't expecting much, but wanted to give it a shot.

I had been doing reading on adding coffee grounds to help with blooming. So 3 times I week I have been trying that.

I do wonder if my back patio is too hot of an area for good blooms as it gets the full afternoon blazing sun.

Can anyone confirm from this photo that these are indeed flower buds?

If it is blooms, would I be alright moving the plant to an area that does not get as much sun? Or let it be?

Thanks!

killerv
Grass Type: Centipede/SA

Re: Finally getting hydrangea blooms?

Post by killerv » May 5th, 2016, 7:35 am

Yes, those will be flowers

Most of the time when people speak of them not blooming, it is because of pruning the buds off the year before. If you are going to prune them, thin them out right after flowering. I leave mine alone, just prune the dead stalks every year if necessary. In your case, probably just took a couple of years for that young plant to get established in its new spot. That being said, you speak that it maybe in a container being on a patio? If so, I'd check the root ball and see if its time to move it to a larger pot.

Mine gets direct afternoon sun and it does just fine, leaves may wilt a little in the hot summer, but nothing a little water doesn't fix.

CarolinaMatt

Post by CarolinaMatt » May 5th, 2016, 9:01 am

It is planted in the ground next to my patio. I have never pruned it. Good to know it can sometimes take a few years to get blooms.

Would it hurt the blooms any this year moving it? I'm pretty decided on moving it as it is getting quite large and creeping towards/on to the patio.

Thanks for the input!

killerv
Grass Type: Centipede/SA

Post by killerv » May 5th, 2016, 9:51 am

Depending on the severity of your winter, sometimes the buds can have winter damage and thus not flower the next year. It's hit or miss.

I'd wait to move it when it goes dormant this fall/winter. If its quite large, you maybe able to divide it and get another plant or so out of it at the same time.

CarolinaMatt

Post by CarolinaMatt » May 5th, 2016, 12:02 pm

Good to know! I will do some reading up on possibly dividing it.