Growing Winter Gem Boxwood from cuttings

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Growing Winter Gem Boxwood from cuttings

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » August 9th, 2016, 6:51 pm

Someone PMed me about creating a thread on my process for growing boxwood from cuttings, so I thought I'd do so.

Preparation
Collect the following materials
  1. Pruning snips (or scissors)
  2. 1 white or clear plastic trash bag (drawstring a plus!)
  3. 2-3 sticks about a foot tall
  4. Dirt (dirt from the yard, bagged top soil, potting soil, peat moss / dirt mixture all work - some better than others)
  5. A container that drains
  6. Rooting powder (not mandatory, but helps)
  7. A spray bottle of water
  8. A shady spot in your yard
  9. a boxwood plant

Put dirt into your container. I had the best results using potting soil in seed starting trays. I had success with all dirt, but the plants were noticeably healthier and took more quickly in the dirt that was a mixture of peat moss and soil (professional potting soil mixture) But, I had success with all sorts of containers.

Timing
Take the cuttings in early spring to mid summer (late June through July in central Indiana)

Step 1
You'll want to start in the late spring through early summer when the plant is actively growing new, light green shoots like below bit after the new shoots have hardened a bit. This picture is from mid to late summer after it's been shaped several times. In the spring, these boxwood have a lot more new growth and is light green all over, covered in new sprouts.

Step 2
Take a cutting about 2 1/2" - 4 " long, and snip it in the light green area (new growth) - above the darker green, harder plant. (See below)

Step 3
Strip off all but the top set of leaves

Step 4
Dip the bottom inch into the rooting powder. This isn't mandatory, but it helps.
Last edited by HoosierLawnGnome on August 10th, 2016, 8:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

HoosierLawnGnome

Re: Growing Winter Gem Boxwood from cuttings

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » August 9th, 2016, 6:51 pm

Step 5
Insert the cutting an inch into the container of dirt you've prepared.

Thoroughly soak the soil around the cutting, gently pressing the soil in around the cutting. If you use one container for multiple plants, space them two inches apart minimum.

Step 6
Place the container with your cuttings into the plastic bag. Place the plastic bag in a shady spot in your yard. Close the plastic trashbag up by tying the drawstring, or tucking the plastic under the container. Put sticks inside the bag as well, and prop up the plastic like a tent so that when it rains, the plastic does not collect water and crush your cuttings. It's ok to leave a small opening to allow fresh air in.

Step 7
For the first 3 weeks, keep the plastic bag interior moist by spraying water into it. You've built a mini greenhouse - keep the tiny plants moist. Don't play with the plants or pull them to see if they've rooted - let them root. If you've completely sealed the bag, open it up and air it out once a week or so when you mist them. A small hole will help it breathe more, but will dry out more quickly. As long as they look like they did when you took the cutting during this phase (green and healthy) - you are doing it right.

Step 8
After a month, gently pull straight up on your cutting to see if it resists. If it resists, congratulations - it's starting to take root! Wait a few more weeks, then take the container out of the bag and let it sit outside until late summer. Keep them hydrated! Switch to your sprinkler system or hose of course :)

Step 9
Transfer the cutting to a larger container. Keep them outside as long as you can, but bring them into a cool and bright space like a garage window or greenhouse before first frost. Keep them hydrated over winter.

Step 10
Take the containers outside after the threat of spring frost has subsided. Let them acclimate for a week or two before transplanting to your yard. They're coming up on a year old now. Keep them well watered the first year especially.
Last edited by HoosierLawnGnome on August 10th, 2016, 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

HoosierLawnGnome

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » August 9th, 2016, 6:53 pm

FAQ
  1. Q: When do I take the cuttings?
    A: Late spring to early summer is best - when there is new growth.
  2. Q: Will this work for other types of boxwoods?
    A: Yup.

J_nick
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by J_nick » August 10th, 2016, 10:34 am

Great write up! Thanks for the help. Might be too late in the year but I'll give it a shot and see if they live.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

HoosierLawnGnome

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » August 10th, 2016, 10:49 am

If you have new growth, you're probably fine. Keep them outside as much as you can before you bring them inside for the winter to a cool, light area. It's all about root development.

J_nick
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by J_nick » August 10th, 2016, 11:01 am

Ok I'll take a look at them next time I'm at the in-laws. It's still getting into the 100s here so winter is still a long way off.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image