White crepe myrtles not growing?

cepx111
Grass Type: hybrid Bermuda
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

White crepe myrtles not growing?

Post by cepx111 » May 13th, 2020, 3:41 am

Hi, new to the site, thanks for the add!

I'm not sure if this is the correct section for my question but here it goes.

My wife and I planted several crepe myrtles around our yard, several varieties and all have started growing this year with the exception of the white Natchez crepe myrtles, well they are growing but just from the base, like the trunk is dead, we had a very mild winter so I know that wasn't it, all our other crepe myrtles are growing great, just the white ones seem to be affected.

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.

Re: White crepe myrtles not growing?

Post by turf_toes » May 13th, 2020, 10:01 am

I’m farther north than you. But in my area we are only starting to see tiny new growth in Crepe Myrtles.

That said, I believe with that plant you get the best blooms on new growth. So pruning it at the appropriate time is important.

cepx111
Grass Type: hybrid Bermuda

Re: White crepe myrtles not growing?

Post by cepx111 » May 13th, 2020, 11:42 pm

turf_toes wrote:
May 13th, 2020, 10:01 am
I’m farther north than you. But in my area we are only starting to see tiny new growth in Crepe Myrtles.

That said, I believe with that plant you get the best blooms on new growth. So pruning it at the appropriate time is important.

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated.

This was the first year we pruned them as they were only 3 years old and we were wanting to get some height out of them, but now we're back to square one with the only new growth coming from the base, I guess I'll just prune them all the way back down to the base and see what happens, it just seems odd that only the white ones are doing this, I've also noticed other people's white crepe myrtles are doing the same thing, some 10-20 year old giants, only growing from the base, all the other varieties are doing fine.