Grass growing under holly bush

starpartyguy
Grass Type: tall fescue
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Some Experience

Grass growing under holly bush

Post by starpartyguy » January 28th, 2021, 11:25 am

I have 2 holly bushes flanking a fake rock that is hiding the sewer clean-out pipe in the front lawn. Under one of the bushes I'm seeing grass growing, possibly nutsedge. I have both Ornamec and Turflon Ester, which I've been using to kill a patch of Bermuda in my TTTF lawn. Would either of those work?

FYI, the bushes are only 18 inches high and were planted less than 2 years ago.

I live in central Pa. And yes, I know I can't do anything until the weather warms up.

Thanks,

Tom P.

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Grass growing under holly bush

Post by turf_toes » January 28th, 2021, 8:20 pm

It’s January. I suspect you’ll get better advice in mid March.

But if it bugs you, get down and hand pull it. (Or dig it out if it is sedge). That’s the safest way to get rid of it anyway.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: Grass growing under holly bush

Post by MorpheusPA » January 28th, 2021, 8:37 pm

Agreed. Sedges are likely to require multiple pulls to remove the grass. But with a holly right there, I wouldn't spray anything as it may negatively impact the holly.

Even those that have no "root activity" can do so if suddenly washed off the 'sedge before dry, or if it drips off into the soil, absorbs, and reaches surface roots. Some of those that do work well, like Tenacity, do have some root activity and shouldn't be used beneath bushes that might be susceptible (I've no idea with holly and wouldn't suggest finding out the hard way).

Pull it, and keep pulling it until it stops appearing.

If you do "spray," damp a paper towel or cloth with RoundUp or glyphosate and wipe down the sedge with it, damping it without wetting it, or spray so gently there's no runoff and shield the bush as you spray (and do it on an absolutely clear day).

What do I do? I pull it. And keep pulling it.