Hydrangea help

Discuss flowers and annuals here
jfoege
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Hydrangea help

Post by jfoege » September 1st, 2017, 3:18 pm

Hopefully its just going dormant early and will bounce back in the spring....Will you leave it in the ground until then to see?

HoosierDaddy
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Prosperity/Midnight/Blueberry; Back: Midnight/Prosperity/Blueberry
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Some Experience

Post by HoosierDaddy » September 1st, 2017, 4:35 pm

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » September 1st, 2017, 4:56 pm

If you have tried chelated Iron with no response, look at Manganese (not Magnesium) also -- Manganese deficiencies look very much like Iron deficiencies. Don't apply more than half a teaspoon to the root area though - it's a micronutrient and used in small amounts.

jfoege

Post by jfoege » September 2nd, 2017, 6:24 am

Not looking good. I've got my fingers crossed that it comes back in Spring. Doesn't seem to have recovered well from the transplant shock. Has it been very hot and sunny? Have you been hittinf it with the Miracle Gro Azalea, Camelia and Rhodedendron liquid fert? That contains iron and manganese and a host of other micros. Although, I'd be wary of hitting it with so much nitrogen the way it's looking. Maybe try it at half srrength and spoon feed it every 3-4 days? @Andy , do you think this is worth trying?

HoosierDaddy
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Prosperity/Midnight/Blueberry; Back: Midnight/Prosperity/Blueberry

Post by HoosierDaddy » September 2nd, 2017, 8:32 am

I will leave it in the ground and hope for the best.

Andy- thanks for the tip! Got some manganese on the way.

HoosierDaddy

Post by HoosierDaddy » September 2nd, 2017, 9:11 am

I have been hitting it with the Miracle Grow A,Z,R... I didn't realize it had manganese in it.

jfoege

Post by jfoege » September 2nd, 2017, 10:07 am

Usually, after I transplant things, I give them a daily watering for about a week until the transplant shock is over. I'd probably be giving it the Miracid (old name) at 1/2 strength every 7-10d. I've seen plants bounce back from some horrific stuff. This doesn't look like a happy plant, but fingers crossed!

HoosierDaddy

Post by HoosierDaddy » September 2nd, 2017, 6:32 pm

I've been giving it regular water. I'll add the 1/2 strength Miracid to a weekly regimen. Thanks for all your help!

jfoege

Post by jfoege » October 3rd, 2017, 5:52 pm

Hey HoosierDaddy, did the patient survive?

HoosierDaddy

Post by HoosierDaddy » October 5th, 2017, 10:12 am

"It's dead Jim."

jfoege

Post by jfoege » October 5th, 2017, 10:51 am

:shock: :sorry:

HoosierDaddy

Post by HoosierDaddy » October 5th, 2017, 2:01 pm

I'm really thinking about trying another one next year. I like the looks of a Hydrangea. Thanks to this post I have a lot of tips to keep one alive.

KBGkicksazz
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by KBGkicksazz » August 12th, 2018, 12:24 pm

Very late to the game but the regimen I follow for hydrangea that works well is i apply the espoused soil acidifier around the root zone in spring and then Avery 6 weeks after until Labor Day and I get nice blue blooms.

About every 1-2 weeks I hit them with the mocracke grow bloom booster.

Hydrangea like moisture and phosphorus did the blooms. Too much N and you’ll get more leaves but won’t help the blooms

The Endless Summer hydrangea cur the fliers as soon as they start to die off. These bloom on new wood.

For the Nikko blue macrophylla type hydrangea they grow on old wood.

Morning sun is best but the key is water and feeding. If you ever wonder how the nurseries get the plants big with lots of blooms is exactly the method I have above.

KBGkicksazz

Post by KBGkicksazz » August 12th, 2018, 3:09 pm

Here’s a picture of two of the Nikko blue hydrangea I planted in May and they’ve doubled in size.

The one on the left doesn’t have lot of blooms because I moved it the one on the right is typical results if you follow the regime I outlined.

Of the plants I’ve mastered I’d say hydrangea is probably one of them. These will easily get 5-6ft tall in another 2 years will agressive feeding and diligent watering.
My Wife sometimes falls off the plan when I travel so sometimes I get a set back if it gets hot.

KBGkicksazz

Post by KBGkicksazz » August 13th, 2018, 5:59 am

Here’s the picture I must have not inserted it yesterday.

john5246

Post by john5246 » August 27th, 2018, 11:49 pm

HoosierDaddy wrote:
June 24th, 2017, 3:16 pm
I've had this Hydrangea for 4 years now. The first year I had it in a full sun area and it struggled. The next year I moved it to a spot that gets a mix of sun and shade. The heat stress is gone, but it hasn't grown much in 3 years and the colors are off as you can see from the pic. Any thoughts/tips?

This is after 4 years? Can I ask what pot size you purchased this in? (1 gal/3 gal, etc) Looks to me it was purchased in a quart or half gallon or it's maybe something you tried to propagate from a cutting?

HoosierDaddy

Post by HoosierDaddy » August 28th, 2018, 7:47 am

I believe it was a half gallon size.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » August 28th, 2018, 7:55 am

Hoos, do you have other Hydrangeas, and if so how are they doing? They like morning sun and protection from hot afternoon sun. They grow like weeds around here, although bad winters (-10 F) can cause them to have a year without blooms. Do you cut them back at all annually?

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Level: Experienced

Post by ken-n-nancy » August 28th, 2018, 7:59 am

HoosierDaddy wrote:
June 24th, 2017, 3:16 pm
I've had this Hydrangea for 4 years now. The first year I had it in a full sun area and it struggled. The next year I moved it to a spot that gets a mix of sun and shade. The heat stress is gone, but it hasn't grown much in 3 years and the colors are off as you can see from the pic. Any thoughts/tips?

HoosierDaddy wrote:
August 28th, 2018, 7:47 am
I believe it was a half gallon size.
With the picture quoted above being from last year, is this hydrangea doing any better (more vigorous growth?) this year?

HoosierDaddy

Post by HoosierDaddy » August 28th, 2018, 8:00 am

That's the only one I had it's long gone now. I have other neighbors who have had success with them and I know for a fact they do nothing to them. It was a location thing where I had it in full afternoon sun for the first year. Then I moved it to a location where it got only a couple of hours of sun per day but I think it was just not meant to be. I haven't decided whether I will try to replace it or not as I don't have a good spot that only gets morning sun.