Deer Repellent

Discuss flowers and annuals here
pristinegreen75
Grass Type: Bluegrass in back, Northern mix in front
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

Deer Repellent

Post by pristinegreen75 » June 8th, 2021, 9:17 pm

Anyone have a better deer repellent? I have been using Liquid Fence and a homemade one of mine. I like to rotate. The Liquid fence works well but the other day I awoke to half of my yellow trumpet lily buds gone.( I was both sad and very PO'd!!! My own concoction doesn't seem to work anymore. Does anyone have a recipe that works fairly well? (other than a fence). I have tried some of the online ones with very limited success. I realize if they really want to eat them they will regardless. But damn! :banghead: :banghead: Thanks guys

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Deer Repellent

Post by andy10917 » June 8th, 2021, 9:45 pm

I use Liquid Fence and it works very well. I have pretty successfully extended the effective life of applications of Liquid Fence by an extra 2-3 weeks by adding Nu-Film P, which forms a film that prevents it from washing off easily. With 700 hostas, it takes quite a while to treat them all. BTW, I also buy the Liquid Fence by the gallon (not quarts).

But you mentioned a critical point, and it may explain your problem. I've seen it myself.

I've seen that deer will hit the Daylilies, but only the buds/blooms. It's simple. The flower shoots aren't covered by the Liquid Fence because the shoots form and grow very quickly (days!) and they where never treated. No treatment, no protection!

BTW, I'm again playing with a new base-ingredient for a DIY repellent (mostly because a gallon of Liquid Fence is $100). So far, so good...

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by MorpheusPA » June 9th, 2021, 12:03 am

I make my own that works well enough for me. Again, as noted, new growth has to be treated, and during bud development, that happens fast...

In 1 gallon water:

1 Tbsp Tabasco sauce (step it up if you still have a problem)
1 tsp any dish soap (helps it stick)
1/2 tsp white glue (helps it stick, also tastes terrible)

Reapply after major rainfalls. Also repels rabbits and any other herbivore. Try to stay upwind when spraying, the fine spray is pretty noxious.

pristinegreen75

Post by pristinegreen75 » June 9th, 2021, 9:10 pm

MorpheusPA wrote:
June 9th, 2021, 12:03 am
I make my own that works well enough for me. Again, as noted, new growth has to be treated, and during bud development, that happens fast...

In 1 gallon water:

1 Tbsp Tabasco sauce (step it up if you still have a problem)
1 tsp any dish soap (helps it stick)
1/2 tsp white glue (helps it stick, also tastes terrible)

Reapply after major rainfalls. Also repels rabbits and any other herbivore. Try to stay upwind when spraying, the fine spray is pretty noxious.
Thanks Morph, as both you and Andy mentioned about the buds not being protected. Never dawned on me. Such a logical explanation. My homemade uses Franks hot sauce, eggs, garlic and a little spreader sticker. Will add the white glue next batch. I have used Liquid Fence for years and it works very well on my Hostas....(yeah its pricey). Thankfully I don't have to spend as much as Andy!! Will get the Nu Film-p for the next batch of that as well. Thanks again guys!

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » June 9th, 2021, 9:22 pm

PS: I have no problems with people maintaining personal space after spraying 4 gallons of Liquid Fence.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » June 9th, 2021, 9:42 pm

andy10917 wrote:
June 9th, 2021, 9:22 pm
PS: I have no problems with people maintaining personal space after spraying 4 gallons of Liquid Fence.
I have no problems with people developing their own personal planets after spraying 4 gallons of Liquid Fence.

My stuff leaves little residual scent on the person spraying, but you might smell a bit like Mexican food.

pristinegreen75

Post by pristinegreen75 » June 11th, 2021, 8:05 am

MorpheusPA wrote:
June 9th, 2021, 9:42 pm
andy10917 wrote:
June 9th, 2021, 9:22 pm
I have no problems with people developing their own personal planets after spraying 4 gallons of Liquid Fence.

My stuff leaves little residual scent on the person spraying, but you might smell a bit like Mexican food.
My other half actually thinks I am from another planet and I like Mex food :good:

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » June 11th, 2021, 4:43 pm

I'm currently painting another planet and like Mexicans?

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000

Post by bpgreen » June 12th, 2021, 1:38 am

This thread reminds me that I need to mix up a batch of repels all to keep the voles from nesting.

They still visit, but they don't stay. Repels alm ingredients include garlic, rotten eggs, and clove. Maybe a few other things. It smells bad when I'm applying it, but I don't notice it after that (but I have a poor sense of smell, sui maybe it reeks for weeks).

I'm not sure if it would keep deer from munching on plants or not. It swings to be aimed more st keeping critters fron seeing up living quarters.

pristinegreen75

Post by pristinegreen75 » July 16th, 2021, 11:29 am

I just mixed up a new batch last week. The deer still cleared off the buds of my Volcano Phlox. Damn! The only thing I did was add a additional tblspn of Franks Hot Sauce and 1 more tblspn of Minced garlic. Some of the Gazania leaves turned white and the Cosmos foliage browned out. Thinking maybe the capsaicin from the hot sauce burned them? Maybe I will just go back to straight Liquid Fence. I am trying to rotate the different smells and tastes.

bolson32
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by bolson32 » July 16th, 2021, 5:01 pm

Do you think wood glue would be a suitable replacement instead of white glue? I wanna mix up a jug of this for my new poplars that I noticed the deer are munching on.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » July 16th, 2021, 5:25 pm

The last time I checked, we were a little short on glue experts - I don't know if I'd trust an answer to your question.

The right stuff is pretty much universally available - hell, you can even buy it in grocery stores sometimes.

bolson32
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by bolson32 » July 16th, 2021, 8:31 pm

Lol fair. I'll get some of the good stuff.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » July 17th, 2021, 12:33 pm

Agreed. I know that white glue works, it's cheap at the dollar store, and you can literally find it at any store if you have to, including the local drug store. I don't know what's in wood glue.

pristinegreen75

Post by pristinegreen75 » July 17th, 2021, 2:07 pm

Agreed also. Think i will stick Liquid fence most of the time. Maybe tinker a little bit her and there with y own