Trimming roses

Discuss flowers and annuals here
edslawn
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Trimming roses

Post by edslawn » November 12th, 2021, 11:46 pm

I've been trying to figure out the proper trimming process for my knockout roses. I've heard various advice from trim back in the fall, late winter and early spring. The roses are about 4' tall at this point and generally too tall. I'd like to take them back to about 2'. Any advice on the best method and timing to trim them back?

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: Trimming roses

Post by MorpheusPA » November 14th, 2021, 6:44 pm

Early spring or extremely late winter at this point. Any trimming you do now would leave holes open that might get infected, although that's not very likely.

Once leaves just start to come back in spring, cut back as hard you like, including right down to just one leaf set left per cane. They'll rapidly (very rapidly) grow back and blossom just fine in June.

edslawn

Post by edslawn » November 15th, 2021, 9:26 am

Got it... Thanks Morph!

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » March 20th, 2022, 5:11 pm

It is likely time to prune if you have not already. I'm not keeping a very good garden calendar this year but we pruned our knockouts about 3 weeks ago. We got some more frost which reset them, but they are coming out in full now. Our last frost is over here, statistically and according to the extended forecast. Looking back at pictures from last year, we're about a week behind on filling in. Last year we were in full bloom on tax day.

edslawn

Post by edslawn » March 21st, 2022, 1:21 pm

Dchall_San_Antonio wrote:
March 20th, 2022, 5:11 pm
It is likely time to prune if you have not already. I'm not keeping a very good garden calendar this year but we pruned our knockouts about 3 weeks ago. We got some more frost which reset them, but they are coming out in full now. Our last frost is over here, statistically and according to the extended forecast. Looking back at pictures from last year, we're about a week behind on filling in. Last year we were in full bloom on tax day.
Thanks for the heads up! Actually got to them a few weeks ago.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by MorpheusPA » March 21st, 2022, 1:30 pm

Perfect. Particularly for that "winter" we just had. Or maybe it just seemed very light because I worked from home this entire winter and barely exposed myself to it?