Don Juan climbing rose

Discuss flowers and annuals here
Billybob
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Don Juan climbing rose

Post by Billybob » May 30th, 2015, 3:43 pm

This is my 2nd year and they are coming along pretty good,I think. Fertilized twice so far, organic rose tone. Some fresh compost, little alfalfa n about a tablespoon of Epsom salts.

bernstem
Grass Type: Front: Solar Eclipse/Award/Bewitched/Moonlight SLT/Prosperity Back: Solar Eclipse Monostand + Bewitched (shade)

Re: Don Juan climbing rose

Post by bernstem » May 31st, 2015, 9:06 am

I have a couple of those. They are great roses. Climbing roses like a lot of fertilizer, but will reward you admirably with good care.

Billybob

Post by Billybob » May 31st, 2015, 1:22 pm

Thanks Bernstem. How often should I fertilize. I'm staying away from miracle grow. I have alfalfa pellets n organic rose tone right now?

How about fish emulsion n bone n blood meal? Should I throw that in the mix also?

Thanks

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

bernstem
Grass Type: Front: Solar Eclipse/Award/Bewitched/Moonlight SLT/Prosperity Back: Solar Eclipse Monostand + Bewitched (shade)

Post by bernstem » May 31st, 2015, 10:48 pm

With organic, you really can't reasonably overdo the fertilizer. While it is impossible to give specific recommendations as every garden site is different, a reasonable rule of thumb I use is to aim for 50-100% more organic fertilizer. I keep synthetic applications at the same level as for shrub roses to avoid burn. Blood meal is hot enough to burn, so don't overdo it. Rose Tone is safe in any amounts. It is mostly grains, including Alfalfa, for Nitrogen. Fish emulsion should be fine. Bone meal is a very slow release source of Phos. I generally base P and K applications on a soil test and aim for higher P numbers (2-4x or so) than in a lawn. Most of my N/P/K comes from compost top dressing and Organic Fertilizer in the spring. I do like and use the Espoma fertilizers. I topdress with a 50/50 mix of compost and mulch at 2-4 inches thick. I also supplement with a water soluble fertilizer monthly or so.

Billybob

Post by Billybob » June 1st, 2015, 2:02 pm

Ok thank you Bernstem

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » July 18th, 2016, 9:27 am

Holy gravedigging, batman!

Old thread but relevant to me. I'm thinking of planting some don Juans to climb a brick wall using brick clips or eyelets but I'm in zone 5a with partial sun the spot I want them.

Worth the risk?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

bernstem

Post by bernstem » July 18th, 2016, 9:49 am

I am zone 5b/6a. They do well for me. I would think they would be OK in 5a, but it is really an educated guess. If you can find a local rosarian or rose club, they can probably answer for you. Don Juan is a common rose.

For training climbers on a brick wall, I like to anchor a trellis to the wall and train them on the trellis.

HoosierLawnGnome

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » July 18th, 2016, 10:30 am

bernstem wrote:I am zone 5b/6a. They do well for me. I would think they would be OK in 5a, but it is really an educated guess. If you can find a local rosarian or rose club, they can probably answer for you. Don Juan is a common rose.

For training climbers on a brick wall, I like to anchor a trellis to the wall and train them on the trellis.
Thanks so much for your response - I really respect your opinion on this!

A reason I am considering something other than a trellis is that this would be the front entrance to my home, and the brick wall is actually a 15' columned archway - the colum is ~ 3' X 2'. The look of a trellis is not attractive to me, I think it would look better to see the brickwork I have.

Maybe I can construct a wire trellis of sorts?

ETA: This is the pic of the spot (2 of these, connected above in an arch)

bernstem

Post by bernstem » July 18th, 2016, 10:46 am

Either way will work. They do make narrow trellises that would work. You will need to keep up on disease prevention as it is right at the front of the house. If you haven't grown roses and have an idea of what it takes to keep them looking good, you may be in for more work than you expect.

HoosierLawnGnome

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » July 18th, 2016, 11:03 am

bernstem wrote:Either way will work. They do make narrow trellises that would work. You will need to keep up on disease prevention as it is right at the front of the house. If you haven't grown roses and have an idea of what it takes to keep them looking good, you may be in for more work than you expect.
Just getting into it this year. Transplanted a bunch of roses from a family member's estate this summer and have really been enjoying it. Mrs. HLG is getting in the game too, and my kids as well. All the transplants took, now I'm working on incorporating more varieties.

Deadheading a rose 10' up is the biggest discouragement I have towards rose maintenance right now. That seems like a lot of work. Not sure if I'm up for dragging a ladder out several times a week!

bernstem

Post by bernstem » July 18th, 2016, 1:33 pm

Your bigger issue may be defoliation from fungal diseases and insects without a good regimen of preventive fungicides and/or insecticides. I would see how the new roses go and whether you are on board with the required care to keep them looking their best before putting them on the front of your house where everyone walking in will see them. I use fungicides, but not insecticides. I am OK (not great) about spraying the fungicides and my Don Juans get pretty scraggly looking. I'll see if I can put up some photos for you.

What roses did you transplant?

HoosierLawnGnome

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » July 18th, 2016, 3:35 pm

bernstem wrote: I'll see if I can put up some photos for you.

What roses did you transplant?
Thanks!

I've started another thread about my impromptu rose garden - I'm sure loving them! (Do I have a problem when I visit every single store within 5 miles in an afternoon that has roses to see if there are any killer sales going on?)

HoosierLawnGnome

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » March 28th, 2017, 12:02 pm

I picked up 4 Don Juan roses for $5 apiece and am planting them to climb a 7' arbor in my rose garden. I figured the front was too shady anyways.

I have 2 in the ground, 2 more to get there hopefully tomorrow.