Hydrangea Color Question

Discuss flowers and annuals here
BrippleLawnDude
Grass Type: Front: KBG Bewtiched, Bedazzled & Blue Velvet F'13; Back: KBG Bewitched/TTTF Bullseye F'13
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Hydrangea Color Question

Post by BrippleLawnDude » June 10th, 2015, 3:00 pm

I have 2 blue and 1 white endless summer hydrangea's that I planted last year. I was reading somewhere that by lowering the pH of the soil I can change the color to match the other 2 blue hydrangeas. If I just start lowering the pH of the water every other day, will my white blooms change to blue over time? Or will only new growth blooms come in blue?

Gags
Grass Type: Both types of Poa, with a hint of Bewitched...
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Re: Hydrangea Color Question

Post by Gags » June 18th, 2015, 1:12 pm

To be honest - I've never heard of the color being changed via the ph of the water. Everything I've read to date is that color is determined by the ph of the soil, as you mentioned - via amendments such as lime or sulfur (http://www.espoma.com/wp-content/upload ... acidif.pdf).

Also - are you sure it's white, and not light pink? I thought the white was only available as an oak leaf variety - but I could very likely be mistaken.

BrippleLawnDude
Grass Type: Front: KBG Bewtiched, Bedazzled & Blue Velvet F'13; Back: KBG Bewitched/TTTF Bullseye F'13
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Hydrangea Color Question

Post by BrippleLawnDude » July 2nd, 2015, 1:01 pm

Just a quick update. I started applying recommended dose of aluminum sulfate to my white hydrandrea a couple weeks ago. Already seeing hints of pink show up in the white flower after one application. I'm pleased with the progress.
ImageUploadedByYard Help1435856398.317185.jpg

Sent from my iOS device using the Yard Help App