Annuals: A Word To The Wise

Discuss flowers and annuals here
MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Annuals: A Word To The Wise

Post by MorpheusPA » April 24th, 2010, 2:17 am

If you plant 2 flats of French Bolero marigolds because the weather service tells you that you're in the clear as far as frost is concerned for the next two weeks (after which it's more than late enough to be unlikely), just don't.

Otherwise, you're going to be up at 2 AM watering them to keep the frost off. As I just did.

On the up side, the temperature in the gardens, post-watering, took a minor rise and the dew point at the sensor is high enough that frost isn't possible at the temperatures we'll be seeing tonight. I got away with it, you should pardon the pun, cold.

Now tomorrow I need more yellow dwarf marigolds and perhaps they've gotten the salvia in...

Abyss
Grass Type: Midnight II and Northstar out back
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Annuals: A Word To The Wise

Post by Abyss » April 24th, 2010, 9:06 am

I've been scared to plant my petunia boxes and hangers. They get no protection if a frost would come.

Didn't do them last year, and missed it. Everyone asks me why I have big bolts running through my railing, and I get a funny look when I tell them it's for my flowers

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

jglongisland
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by jglongisland » April 25th, 2010, 4:54 pm

I'm waiting until May; the old rule of thumb is Mother's Day. I'm going to start hardening off May 1st for about 5 days bringing the racks into the garage at night.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » April 25th, 2010, 6:24 pm

So far, all is well. One night watering (the city hit 34, my garden short-stopped at 40). That looks like the last problem nigh we're going to have.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » April 25th, 2010, 7:43 pm

Abyss wrote:I've been scared to plant my petunia boxes and hangers. They get no protection if a frost would come.

Didn't do them last year, and missed it. Everyone asks me why I have big bolts running through my railing, and I get a funny look when I tell them it's for my flowers

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Missed this, sorry. I'm catching up on my to-do list before it storms, at which point I'll do the bills.

A lot of petunias are relatively frost-tolerant, and a window box tends to stay warm anyway (it's up higher whereas frost tends to hug the ground, it's at a window, and against the house). My Madness petunias take a frost easily and bloomed into November, much longer than the marigolds.

This year, Frost Velvet Madness and Sugar Madness. Last year was Orchid Madness. I like to mix it up a bit to keep it from being boring. :-)