HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: HLG's impromptu rose garden

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » February 17th, 2017, 12:20 pm

j rockford wrote:
February 16th, 2017, 9:39 pm
Have you noticed any budding yet? All mine are swelling and I am tempted to prune this weekend, albeit lightly. Removed all leaves and would have removed mulch but ran out of time.
Not yet. I have a lot of brown stems after the winter. I'm guessing lots of pruning is in my future.

My peony trees, herbacious peonies, and tulips are showing buds or growth though.

bernstem
Grass Type: Front: Solar Eclipse/Award/Bewitched/Moonlight SLT/Prosperity Back: Solar Eclipse Monostand + Bewitched (shade)
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by bernstem » February 17th, 2017, 4:31 pm

I find that Hybrid Teas, Grandifloras and Floribundas really like aggressive pruning (unless they are immature). I like to get them cut back to where I want them before they start to bud out so that they can put all their spring energy into productive growth. If they have already started to bud out and I have to cut off that growth it is energy that could have gone into growth that I wanted. I don't have a lot of experience with true old garden roses, but newer varieties like the Dave Austins also like to be pruned. Shrub roses don't seem to care nearly as much as other roses about pruning. Climbing roses should not be aggressively pruned. For them, you really only want to remove old canes and prune for shape.

HoosierLawnGnome

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » February 18th, 2017, 11:44 am

Thanks this is great info! I did some light pruning last night. I checked and i do have buds on my double knockouts and traditional roses. I think they all made it. Maybe lost one or two.

Gags
Grass Type: Both types of Poa, with a hint of Bewitched...
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Post by Gags » February 24th, 2017, 12:23 pm

HLG - Those pics from the '60s are awesome. What a great find and addition to the story. It's easy to forget that having a successful garden/lawn with healthy flowers/grass _was_ actually possible before the internet-age!

One comment about the boxwoods - they may help block the wind (useful in the winter), but depending on how many you're planting (you said border - wasn't sure if it was a solid "wall" of bushes or just interspersed), it may block too much airflow in the summer, increasing the likelihood of blackspot or other diseases.

HoosierLawnGnome

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » February 24th, 2017, 4:31 pm

Understood - my plan is a low hedge - about 3 1'X1' winter gem seperated by a 2'X3' green mountain. It won't totally block the airflow, but will stop my rose plants from getting so wind whipped.

I have TONS of airflow back there - I'm actually putting it up in part to help provide some protection from the wind - it's very windy through the back yard!

bernstem
Grass Type: Front: Solar Eclipse/Award/Bewitched/Moonlight SLT/Prosperity Back: Solar Eclipse Monostand + Bewitched (shade)

Post by bernstem » February 25th, 2017, 3:49 pm

I grow roses behind a dense ~2 foot boxwood hedge. I have a stone sitting wall on the other side. They seem to do fine. I like something in front of roses as their "feet" often get a bit ugly. The boxwoods hide the bases of the roses and let the attractive parts show above the hedge. The boxwoods also provide some structure in what is generally a more chaotic landscape.

Riverpilot
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Post by Riverpilot » February 25th, 2017, 6:35 pm

Really nice looking roses. Very good! :)

I planted a double knockout last year that turned out incredibly with very little maintenance needed. I'm going to plant another 6 or so this year, mixing the red and pink.

HoosierLawnGnome

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » February 28th, 2017, 11:25 am

Double knockouts are what got me into roses. :good:

I'm no expert by any means, but I'm enjoying it thus far.

I installed the winter gem boxwoods on one side of this particular rose bed roughly a week ago. It snowed and temperatures dropped to mid 20s overnight a few times. From the looks, all but one or two of them made it. I have more I'll move in for the ones that die, and I'll start more cuttings in the spring anyways.

Bernstem - I'm a similar mind on incorporating boxwoods to mask the bottom of rose plants and provide some structure. Masks the bottoms of the roses. Uses more of the bed so there is less weeding to do. And I like the look of well-manicured boxwoods.

Anyways - I'll try to snap a few more pictures of this area. Several of my rose plants are shooting up new canes.

HoosierLawnGnome

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » May 15th, 2017, 2:56 pm

I ended up losing half of my boxwood cuttings due to some cold snaps. Oh well, they did better outside as I wasn't keeping up with them inside. I made some more and stuck them straight in the ground.

First rose bloom opened up!

I cut a lot of the old canes off the transplanted roses a few weeks ago and started cuttings for new plants to fill in the beds.

Some cuttings I put straight into the ground after mixing in some peat moss and compost, then covering with various plastic containers.

Others I put straight into planting soil and didn't cover. We will see how well they take. The cuttings are starting to lose their leaves.

j rockford
Grass Type: emblem moonbeam moonlight slt midnight star midnight prosperity, boutique

Post by j rockford » July 15th, 2017, 8:24 am

Well....how do things look?