HLG's impromptu rose garden

Discuss flowers and annuals here
HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

HLG's impromptu rose garden

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » July 18th, 2016, 3:34 pm

My wife's grandmother died, and I elected to transplant a number of plants from her yard to ours. My wife loved the idea, and she is helping out a lot with the plant care.

I transplanted 8 roses. I don't know what they are, but they are the shrub rose variety - get about 3-4' tall, a few feet wide. They had slowly all grown together, so I may have dug up two different varieties and put them in a single transplant hole. I didn't really know what I was doing when I transplanted them - just dug them up as much of the root as possible, put them in a 5 gallon bucket, put more dirt on top added some water, and tried to put something over them to keep them moist. I transplanted all of them as soon as I got home - just a simple hole with scored sides leaving a bit of the root mass above ground. I have been watering daily. I also fertilized them right away, and even made the mistake of putting fertilizer in some of the transplant holes! Ah! What a rookie! REgardless of my mistakes, all took to new growth within several weeks, and are starting to bloom in the order of transplant.

They are all at least 20 years old, likely 40+ years old or older. My father in law once mentioned he thought maybe some were David Austin roses from a catalog that grandfather planted many years ago before he passed.

I'm loving this new found plant hobby.

Here is my impromptu setup - I had to get them in the ground fast, and decided on this spot before the fence came down. The hydrangeas will have to move now that the fence can't shade them most of the day. More room for roses! We got hick with a heckuva rain storm last night and I need to clean the beds up once it stops raining today.

This is a darker red, and very velvety with wonderful aroma. My favorite so far, but also has some good insect damage.

This is a medium red, but doesn't have the velvety texture like the previous.

This one is almost a fluerescent red, and it looks like some other buds on the same plant may have some white in them - we'll see as they come in.

The other 5 all have new growth and most are budding, so I won't know what they are yet.

I also purchased an iceburg and sunsprite floribunda rose. The iceburg was on sale and has black spot, so I'm treating with fungicide and it's improving. I'm also spraying with Sevin insecticide occasionally to combat the bugs, fertilizing with a dash of starter and ferrous sulfate every other week or so, regularly pruning off all dead wood, and deadheading religiously.

I'm loving this new part of yardwork!

HoosierLawnGnome

Re: HLG's impromptu rose garden

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » July 20th, 2016, 11:22 am

Looks like it is a coral rose. Beautiful.

Gags
Grass Type: Both types of Poa, with a hint of Bewitched...
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Post by Gags » July 20th, 2016, 10:14 pm

Welcome to the sickness.

To avoid despair, don't look at any pictures of roses from California. They seem to have near perfect weather for growing them, and
make it look too easy. (Sort of like me thinking I can make KBG work in VA since it looks great in NY and Michigan!)

Sounds like they're responding well to transplanting. What a great gift for your wife.

-Gags

Sent from my rotary phone using the Yard Help App

bernstem
Grass Type: Front: Solar Eclipse/Award/Bewitched/Moonlight SLT/Prosperity Back: Solar Eclipse Monostand + Bewitched (shade)
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by bernstem » July 21st, 2016, 8:18 am

Rose ID is very difficult. None of them look particularly like typical David Austin roses which tend to be Damask or Gallica type roses with very high petal counts. A few are singles or more traditional roses. Austin, however, has been breeding roses for a long time so anything is possible.

kbgfarmer
Grass Type: Bewitched Kentucky bluegrass
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by kbgfarmer » August 31st, 2016, 3:56 pm

My wife planted a rose bush in our planting bed out front which I fertilized and is doing quite well. This is our first rose bush. How to prepare them for a cold and snowy winter HLG? I saw something about putting a rose cone over it? We are total noobs when it comes to flower care. I'm a grass nut but am starting to learn about gardening as well. Thank you and I apologize if it sounds like a dumb question. Not trying to hijack your thread btw.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

HoosierLawnGnome

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » August 31st, 2016, 4:36 pm

Bernstem is your rose guy. I'm more of a newbie too. I plan on mounding some peat moss over the bases. I might do rose cones too.

These particle url rose transplants are very old and were unmanaged for at least the last 20 years and are doing just fine.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

HoosierLawnGnome

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » August 31st, 2016, 4:39 pm

Another nice pink rose that came in.

nclawnguy
Grass Type: tttf
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by nclawnguy » September 1st, 2016, 8:29 am

Looks good HLG. I suck at roses, the only ones I do now are double knockout or drift roses. Not as pretty as other roses, but require little attention.

HoosierLawnGnome

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » October 3rd, 2016, 4:13 pm

Hey all - my transplanted roses exceeded all expectations this year! :yahoo:

I have a "peace rose", and even had enough growth I was comfortable taking some shoots off of it to propagate. This is my wife's favorite plant.

I also purchased a half dozen roses from David Austin for a rose / peony bed I'll be planting next spring.

My question now is - what is the best way to prepare them for winter? I've stopped fertilizing. I'm spraying for now to fight off persistent rose slugs and insects. Fungus has been kept at bay with occasional spraying, and is staying away due to very good ventilation and sun to keep things dry.

My thought is to just mound up compost / mulch around the base when it's the right time, no pruning as the plants are still not fully developed. First frost is normally in about 2 weeks for us.

bernstem
Grass Type: Front: Solar Eclipse/Award/Bewitched/Moonlight SLT/Prosperity Back: Solar Eclipse Monostand + Bewitched (shade)

Post by bernstem » October 4th, 2016, 9:54 am

You want to protect the base and root of the plants. If they are grafted roses, you need to protect the graft union. I always mounded mulch and Peat Moss over the base of the plant when I lived in Michigan. Compost is a bit heavy and I was worried it would lead to diseases. If it is cold enough, the canes will die back to the edge of the mulch. If it is really cold, they will die back to the ground even with mulch (which is why you want to bury the graft union in cold areas). If you are worried that it will be too cold for mulch to protect them, Rose Cones work well.

Late fall pruning is done primarily to prevent canes from breaking in the wind and snow. If the canes are not very long, you can leave them unpruned.

Keep a close eye on your Peace rose. They tend to attract diseases, but are very pretty roses.

HoosierLawnGnome

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » October 4th, 2016, 10:11 am

Thanks, bernstem - I have peat moss at the ready. I do get a lot of wind through them - howling winds at times. None of them are over 3' tall and the snow doesn't stick around long in my yard as it's pretty open and that wind pushed it elsewhere. But it can dip below 0 for a few days a winter. I'll at LEAST cover them in peat moss. Pruning doesn't sound necessary - I may go the extra mile and pick up rose cones, especially since I'll probably need them next year for the new roses I'll be growing from roots to make sure they make it through their first winter.

I'm planning on putting a boxwood hedge around them as well next year that over time will hopefully shield them a bit more from the wind.

bernstem

Post by bernstem » October 4th, 2016, 1:43 pm

It is always a good idea to err on the side of more protection for new roses - especially if you don't have a feel for how much protection you need in your area.

LoneRanger
Grass Type: Front/Side - Emblem, Back - Panterra V

Post by LoneRanger » October 16th, 2016, 11:26 am

Just great! Like I need another addiction. Thanx, HLG!

j rockford
Grass Type: emblem moonbeam moonlight slt midnight star midnight prosperity, boutique

Post by j rockford » November 22nd, 2016, 9:04 pm

Which Austin's did you get. I have two and am adding another next year. Got a Graham Thomas for mom as well. Be patient with them. They need a season at least to get comfy. Also be wary. My Gertrude Jekyll and tess of the dubervilles are thorny bloodthirsty wenches.

HoosierLawnGnome

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » November 23rd, 2016, 1:38 pm

j rockford wrote:Which Austin's did you get. I have two and am adding another next year. Got a Graham Thomas for mom as well. Be patient with them. They need a season at least to get comfy. Also be wary. My Gertrude Jekyll and tess of the dubervilles are thorny bloodthirsty wenches.
Pinks:
Olivia Rose Austin
Getrude Jekyll

Deep Reds:
Munstead Wood
Falstaff

Whites:
Susan Williams-Ellis
Claire Austin

How tall does your Gertrude Jekyll get?

By the way, I found an old picture of the roses I transplanted above from the 60s.

Here is a quick shot 6 months after transplant

I have a new bed I'm still in the progress of making. It has some blueberry in it that I'll use for plugs next spring before I nuke it, add compost, finish edging, add more boxwood edging, then add mulch. I have a couple tree peonies in there right now.

j rockford
Grass Type: emblem moonbeam moonlight slt midnight star midnight prosperity, boutique

Post by j rockford » November 23rd, 2016, 10:58 pm

Gertrude got to six feet however she was not put in the garden until June. She was the "honey you've lost your mind again but there is more space in the garden so go ahead and get another" offering this year. Every other rose planted in mid April and she lagged until late summer. Blooms are fabulous and strongest scent (my now non negotiable feature) of what I have. Be warned. Black spot will be an issue. Don't crowd and you will be pleased.

bernstem

Post by bernstem » November 27th, 2016, 10:16 am

If you are looking for an interesting strong smelling rose, check out Ebb Tide. It is a deep purple and has a great scent projection. Mine is getting crowded, so I need to decide where to move it.

HoosierLawnGnome

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » November 28th, 2016, 11:29 am

bernstem wrote:I need to decide where to move it.
You can move it to my yard :)

Sounds intriguing. I've not gotten into the scented roses yet.

I did pick up an arbor on clearance that I'm going to climb with a couple of my taller climbers.

I'm doing pink, deep red, white peony trees and roses in this bed.

HoosierLawnGnome

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » February 1st, 2017, 12:23 pm

I'm getting things in order for my formal rose garden setup this spring. I'll start a new thread on that one, but for this impromptu rose garden, I am planning on bordering it with a mix of boxwoods - winter gems and green mountains. The green mountains I'll allow to grow tall, and the winter gem boxwoods I'll keep shorter. Kind of a "castle edge" if you will. Two winter gems in between each green mountain.

The roses I grew from cuttings this fall didn't fare well inside. One might make it. The boxwood cuttings have done well.

j rockford

Post by j rockford » February 16th, 2017, 9:39 pm

Have you noticed any budding yet? All mine are swelling and I am tempted to prune this weekend, albeit lightly. Removed all leaves and would have removed mulch but ran out of time.