Rhododendron - Dying?

Discuss flowers and annuals here
Gopwh2020
Grass Type: La Prima XD Bermuda, Emerald Zoysia
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Rhododendron - Dying?

Post by Gopwh2020 » July 23rd, 2016, 5:23 pm

I planted this rhododendron in May when it was healthy looking and was producing beautiful flowers. Now it looks like this in the picture. Leaves are brown and breaking apart. Plant sits in a spot where there used to be an old junk tree that I had taken out and the stump ground down. I pulled out most of the ground debris, added some dirt, and planted this. It faces west and gets full sun in the afternoon. I haven't noticed any bugs or things crawling on it. Thoughts? Is it salvageable?

Thanks!

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: Rhododendron - Dying?

Post by ken-n-nancy » July 23rd, 2016, 5:44 pm

Gopwh2020 wrote:I planted this rhododendron in May when it was healthy looking and was producing beautiful flowers. Now it looks like this in the picture. Leaves are brown and breaking apart. ... Thoughts? Is it salvageable?
I've seen rhododendron come back from far worse. I definitely wouldn't give up on it yet; hopefully others will have some concrete recommendations on how to best help it.

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by TimmyG » July 24th, 2016, 1:08 am

I've had more mature rhododendrons look that bad in the heat and drought of summer up here (MA/NH border). I can't even imagine trying to grow rhodos in GA with any direct sun on them.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by ken-n-nancy » July 24th, 2016, 7:25 am

I was curious, so I looked to Google, which came up with the following article, which was a quick read with excellent advice from the American Rhododendron Society:

http://www.rhododendron.org/v48n2p85.htm

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Zareth
Grass Type: Renovating to Midnight KBG and LS1200 Tall fescue
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by Zareth » August 7th, 2016, 9:56 pm

Mine do better with 6 or less hours of sun