Discuss flowers and annuals here
Casutherland
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

When to Plant New Guinea Impatiens "Sunpatiens"

Post by Casutherland » April 21st, 2017, 3:34 pm

Hey guys.

When is the proper, or best time to play New Guinea Impatiens, also known as sunpatiens? Currently our pansies are still doing pretty well, but I just wanted to double check. Kind of getting tired of my pansies anyway..we have had them in the ground since September hah.

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Re: When to Plant New Guinea Impatiens "Sunpatiens"

Post by TimmyG » April 21st, 2017, 6:03 pm

Just a quick note that SunPatiens are not New Guinea impatiens but rather the result of a number of crosses involving New Guinea impatiens and, I believe, a wild variety.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » April 21st, 2017, 8:29 pm

Plant Sunpatiens when all danger of frost is past. For you in Cane Ridge, TN (apparently between Nashville and Murfeesburo if I'm reading the map right), your last frost date is May 1 to May 10.

Here's the Map: http://www.plantmaps.com/interactive-te ... te-map.php

That seems a bit late (my last frost date is May 15 up here in PA), but I'm not sure if you're in the mountains or have other considerations. Certainly the date sounds extremely safe to me.

Casutherland
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Post by Casutherland » April 21st, 2017, 11:38 pm

MorpheusPA wrote:
April 21st, 2017, 8:29 pm
Plant Sunpatiens when all danger of frost is past. For you in Cane Ridge, TN (apparently between Nashville and Murfeesburo if I'm reading the map right), your last frost date is May 1 to May 10.

Here's the Map: http://www.plantmaps.com/interactive-te ... te-map.php

That seems a bit late (my last frost date is May 15 up here in PA), but I'm not sure if you're in the mountains or have other considerations. Certainly the date sounds extremely safe to me.
Thanks man. Yeah, I think we are close to being in the clear now. Its been in the 80s for the past 3 weeks lol. Who knows though..

Yeah I am more in a valley than anything. No mountains here.

The Sunpatiens just do really really well down here, even with the heat of the summer. Just have to keep a little water on them and they love it.