Suggestions: Flowers, plants around 2 trees

Discuss flowers and annuals here
wis99ski
Grass Type: Front: Blueberry, Bewitched, Prosperity ---- Back: Bewitched, Everest, America
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Suggestions: Flowers, plants around 2 trees

Post by wis99ski » April 22nd, 2017, 4:12 pm

I just lost pachysandra that draped the bottom of a raised circular area around two large trees in the front lawn. It appears it was chewed off by either a rabbit or deer. I didn't think they went after pachysandra but anyway it doesn't look like its recovering too well, its thinned out and grassy weeds have taken over. I just glypho'ed the whole area and look to start over with something new. I don think I want to go with a evergreen perennial again and maybe mulch it and add some flowers or plants that "pop"

Anyone have some good ideas? Thanks

Grass Type: Quack, No Mix

Re: Suggestions: Flowers, plants around 2 trees

Post by 1977212 » April 22nd, 2017, 5:58 pm

I've planted Marigolds around a few trees, they also flower all year.

wis99ski
Grass Type: Front: Blueberry, Bewitched, Prosperity ---- Back: Bewitched, Everest, America

Post by wis99ski » April 22nd, 2017, 7:25 pm

That's a nice idea. I'm also thinking impatiens too.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » April 23rd, 2017, 12:14 pm

Impatiens will require a lot of water, particularly under a tree that's sucking water right out of the soil at a high rate. Those do better in low planters placed under the tree, or you can water daily in the hottest parts of summer.

Marigolds, as mentioned, do pretty well. Zinnia, ditto. I've underplanted my trees with Melampodium (butter daisy), cosmos (both species), salvia, petunia, and pretty much every other common and lower-care annual. None did all that well compared to the gardens, but the trees aren't in the garden's irrigation zones and didn't get the same feeding regimen.

wis99ski

Post by wis99ski » April 23rd, 2017, 3:43 pm

Thanks for the reply Morph, I will look into those great suggestions as well. Do you have any pictures of your trees? Here is a list of my local spot price list.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » April 23rd, 2017, 11:32 pm

Strangely, I never seem to photograph those areas; they're off to the sides and at the front of the property. The back trees are left without gardens as the main garden is well over a thousand square feet back there. :-) Right now, one tree features tons of flowering grape hyacinth, the other is mostly not flowering. Later on, the other one will bloom with English hyacinth and some very late-flowering bulbs.

Ageratum might be another good choice, they do fairly well in partial shade (depending on how thick your tree is). Vincas are unbelievably tolerant of drought once established, and bloom well even indoors (I wintered over a Pacifica that never stopped blooming). Torenia would be a pretty, more exotic-looking addition that does well in moderate shade. I grew those in a planter that got 1 hour of sun per day when I owned my condo.

wis99ski

Post by wis99ski » April 29th, 2017, 6:07 pm

First round. Thoughts Morph?

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » April 30th, 2017, 12:15 pm

Except for the Gazania, good choices all. But I'm kind of prejudiced against them, I think. :-)

Still, those do better in fuller sun than under a tree, and with more consistent watering.

The others will require watering until established, and fairly heavy feeding since the tree will be pulling resources away at a high rate.

wis99ski

Post by wis99ski » April 30th, 2017, 9:45 pm

MorpheusPA wrote:
April 30th, 2017, 12:15 pm
Except for the Gazania, good choices all. But I'm kind of prejudiced against them, I think. :-)

Still, those do better in fuller sun than under a tree, and with more consistent watering.

The others will require watering until established, and fairly heavy feeding since the tree will be pulling resources away at a high rate.
Thanks. The Gazania is for a big planter that gets good sun. What would you suggest I use for feeding and or mixing in with the soil around the tree?

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » May 1st, 2017, 5:55 am

I'd feed with something like dilute Miracle Gro at a fairly constant rate.

wis99ski

Post by wis99ski » May 1st, 2017, 9:38 am

MorpheusPA wrote:
May 1st, 2017, 5:55 am
I'd feed with something like dilute Miracle Gro at a fairly constant rate.
Forgot about Miracle Gro. Should I mix in some bumper crop and or anything else to make the soil more viable for plants?

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » May 1st, 2017, 7:51 pm

You can if you wish. Water-retaining gel would probably help out more than anything else, really.

wis99ski

Post by wis99ski » May 2nd, 2017, 11:49 am

I have a metal border ring around one tree the other tree has quite a few large roots near the surface making it hard get the border in. any thoughts how to handle? do I raise the border up with some dirt to it looks even?

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Post by TimmyG » May 2nd, 2017, 3:57 pm

Go bigger, not up, if you really must have a metal border. If you want the tree, let the roots grow exactly where they want to grow. Surface roots are a sign of a tree that naturally grows surface roots, for a reason. It's unnatural to cover them with more dirt and can harm the tree. That said, trees can be forgiving of change, particularly when young, but you must understand and assume the risk.

See Need advice on Maple Tree Roots in Lawn

wis99ski

Post by wis99ski » May 2nd, 2017, 4:07 pm

TimmyG wrote:
May 2nd, 2017, 3:57 pm
Go bigger, not up, if you really must have a metal border. If you want the tree, let the roots grow exactly where they want to grow. Surface roots are a sign of a tree that naturally grows surface roots, for a reason. It's unnatural to cover them with more dirt and can harm the tree. That said, trees can be forgiving of change, particularly when young, but you must understand and assume the risk.

See Need advice on Maple Tree Roots in Lawn
I can't go wider, these Sweetgum maples have about 5 thick roots that that run along the surface that would make it not possible. I am thinking of cutting large notches to make room for the roots and maybe switch over to plastic that is easier to work with.

Grass Type: Quack, No Mix

Post by 1977212 » May 2nd, 2017, 9:56 pm

I've dug out around the surface roots to expose some of them, makes them look pretty cool. Then you can plant flowers around the edge.

wis99ski

Post by wis99ski » May 2nd, 2017, 10:22 pm

1977212 wrote:
May 2nd, 2017, 9:56 pm
I've dug out around the surface roots to expose some of them, makes them look pretty cool. Then you can plant flowers around the edge.
I appreciate exposing the root flare which is beneficial to the tree anyway. I would like to maintain that edge and need to figure out something reasonable.

jfoege
Grass Type: Northern Mix

Post by jfoege » August 12th, 2017, 3:10 am

I'm kind of a dork for Wizard Mix Coleus in shade locations. I really like the way it looks under a tree in the shade. Just pinch it often to keep it low and bushy and don't hit it with too much N or sun!

JoyceMaddox
Grass Type: Tall

Post by JoyceMaddox » August 31st, 2018, 6:40 am

I have also planted marygold aroud a big tree in front of my house.

wis99ski

Post by wis99ski » August 31st, 2018, 8:15 am

jfoege wrote:
August 12th, 2017, 3:10 am
I'm kind of a dork for Wizard Mix Coleus in shade locations. I really like the way it looks under a tree in the shade. Just pinch it often to keep it low and bushy and don't hit it with too much N or sun!
I took your advice this spring. Wow they were doing ok and 2 weeks ago just doubled in size they are huge.