Discuss flowers and annuals here
dmykins
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Hummingbird Garden

Post by dmykins » May 10th, 2017, 7:43 am

Good Morning Everyone,

We are redoing our landscaping/garden areas, does anyone here have a garden that attracts pollinators such as hummingbirds and butterflies? If so, can you post a pic? I am curious to see!

Thank you!

killerv
Grass Type: Centipede/SA

Re: Hummingbird Garden

Post by killerv » May 10th, 2017, 10:34 am

I have one but not a pic on hand, butterfly bush, verbena, coneflowers, milkweed, mexican petunia, speedwell, I tried to plant all perennials. I removed my lantana because it was too hard to keep in check. Salvia is great for hummingbirds, they came to mine all summer long last year, but should bet treated as an annual.

dmykins

Post by dmykins » May 10th, 2017, 11:40 am

Are they all full sun plants? Or are some partial sun?

HoosierDaddy
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Prosperity/Midnight/Blueberry; Back: Midnight/Prosperity/Blueberry
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Some Experience

Post by HoosierDaddy » May 10th, 2017, 2:38 pm

I bought a preplanned Hummingbird and Butterfly garden from Michigan Bulb. It doesn't appear to be available any longer, but it had a butterfly bush, liatris, lilies, daylilies, columbine and a trumpet vine. I've removed the trumpet vine, but the rest are still there. True to its name, I get a lot of hummingbirds and butterflies, but lots of bees too.

dmykins

Post by dmykins » May 11th, 2017, 7:46 am

Is it safe to assume they aren't aggressive bees?

TimmyG
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Post by TimmyG » May 11th, 2017, 10:21 am

Yellowjackets can suck it, but all other bees and wasps are welcome in our yard. We try to keep our landscape in a constant state of bloom throughout the season. Hummingbirds galore, even hummingbird moths...those are cool.

HoosierDaddy
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Prosperity/Midnight/Blueberry; Back: Midnight/Prosperity/Blueberry

Post by HoosierDaddy » May 11th, 2017, 1:09 pm

Mostly big fat bumblebees. But some wasps as well. Most aren't aggressize, no recorded stings in 10 years. But those big bees buzzing by your ears is a little freaky!

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Level: Experienced

Post by bpgreen » May 11th, 2017, 2:05 pm

HoosierDaddy wrote:
May 10th, 2017, 2:38 pm
I bought a preplanned Hummingbird and Butterfly garden from Michigan Bulb. It doesn't appear to be available any longer, but it had a butterfly bush, liatris, lilies, daylilies, columbine and a trumpet vine. I've removed the trumpet vine, but the rest are still there. True to its name, I get a lot of hummingbirds and butterflies, but lots of bees too.
Out of curiosity, how long ago did you remove the trumpet vine and how long did it take you to completely get rid of it. I had a trumpet vine that was growing into the fence, so I cut it down about 5 years ago and I've been fighting new vines cropping up from the rhizomes ever since (some probably 20 feet or more from the original vine). I finally started spraying with roundup last summer even though it left a bare spot in the lawn. I haven't seen any new vines this year, so maybe it worked.

If you really love trumpet vines, they do attract hummingbirds, but they're pretty tough to eradicate once they're established, so only plant one if you're sure you want one (or more).

dmykins

Post by dmykins » May 12th, 2017, 11:05 am

I will have to take a look at them and see. This will be my first year, so I am still a newb

HoosierDaddy

Post by HoosierDaddy » May 12th, 2017, 1:34 pm

bpgreen wrote:
May 11th, 2017, 2:05 pm
HoosierDaddy wrote:
May 10th, 2017, 2:38 pm
Out of curiosity, how long ago did you remove the trumpet vine and how long did it take you to completely get rid of it. I had a trumpet vine that was growing into the fence, so I cut it down about 5 years ago and I've been fighting new vines cropping up from the rhizomes ever since (some probably 20 feet or more from the original vine). I finally started spraying with roundup last summer even though it left a bare spot in the lawn. I haven't seen any new vines this year, so maybe it worked.

If you really love trumpet vines, they do attract hummingbirds, but they're pretty tough to eradicate once they're established, so only plant one if you're sure you want one (or more).
I planted the garden about 8 years ago. Then killed the trumpet vine about 6 years ago.. and 5 years ago.. and 4.... Crap, there's another shoot popping up, time to break out the glysophate! :aikido: :club: :banghead:

Cyrus
Grass Type: Zoysia

Post by Cyrus » August 9th, 2017, 2:28 pm

Besides the above mentioned flowers - we also have Goose necks and Bee Balm that also attract butterfly's and Hummingbirds. Also please note - there is a big difference between Butterfly Bush and Butterfly weed. We have both and they work really well for attracting them. :-)