Garden Weed Control

Discuss flowers and annuals here
PSU4ME
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Midnight/Everglade Back: Midnight/Diva/Everest
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Garden Weed Control

Post by PSU4ME » May 11th, 2017, 10:29 am

I just had a simple question for you guys which i'm sure is common knowledge but i'm looking to help my parents with their garden this year. Each year they deal with weeds.......and from my time in the lawn, using a preemergent comes to mind. If they are planting plants vs seeds, can i use something like prodiamine after its all installed to keep the weeds out? Any issue if the spray gets on the plants?

Thanks!

Casutherland
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Re: Garden Weed Control

Post by Casutherland » May 11th, 2017, 11:53 am

I personally like to use Preen in my mulch beds. I put some out back in March, and have only seen a few small pieces of grass come in that I easily hand pulled.

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Level: Experienced

Post by TimmyG » May 11th, 2017, 2:43 pm

There are far more appropriate pre-Ms for use around ornamentals, perennials, shrubs, etc. than the staples we use here in our lawns. Currently, I have Surflan Pro (Oryzalin) for my beds. DoMyOwnPestControl.com paraphrases the label description as "Surflan Pro herbicide is a selective pre-emergent surface-applied herbicide for the control of a broad spectrum of weeds and grasses found in ornamental plantings, bulbs, ground covers/perennials, established warm-season turfgrass, Christmas tree plantations, non-bearing trees and vines, and non-cropland and industrial sites." The label includes pages and pages of established plant species that the herbicide can be applied to as an overtop spray, not that I do that myself, but you know the commercial growers do.

PSU4ME

Post by PSU4ME » May 11th, 2017, 5:06 pm

Thanks guys, this will be a vegetable garden so preen seems to be pretty easy and I can pick it up at lowes.

Thanks!

chrismar
Grass Type: Front: KBG / Back: TTTF
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Experienced

Post by chrismar » May 12th, 2017, 9:55 am

I haven't been terribly impressed with Preen, to be honest. I've only been using it for 2 seasons and I'm still doing a TON of hand picking in my 2,000 SF of mulched beds. Once I run out of this giant Costco tub I'm going to try prodiamine.

superkaz661
Grass Type: Tall Fescue
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by superkaz661 » May 14th, 2017, 9:12 pm

chrismar wrote:
May 12th, 2017, 9:55 am
I haven't been terribly impressed with Preen, to be honest. I've only been using it for 2 seasons and I'm still doing a TON of hand picking in my 2,000 SF of mulched beds. Once I run out of this giant Costco tub I'm going to try prodiamine.
x2 on Preen not being impressive. Especially on cost/function. Did 1k sq ft of my mothers perennial garden this year with Dimension for maybe $2, and she says the weed difference is night and day, even compared to last year, when she had a very reputable landscaper install a bunch of new plants and they used preen.

PSU4ME

Post by PSU4ME » May 14th, 2017, 9:51 pm

There an issue using prodiamine AND preen?

superkaz661
Grass Type: Tall Fescue
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by superkaz661 » May 15th, 2017, 9:57 am

PSU4ME wrote:
May 14th, 2017, 9:51 pm
There an issue using prodiamine AND preen?
I wouldn't. I'm by no means chemical averse, but there is a cost (beyond dollars) to all chemical use. If applied correctly, one should be sufficient. I'd suggest the marginal cost of applying two outweighs the marginal benefit.