Day Lillies need more sun?

Discuss flowers and annuals here
schreibdave
Grass Type: Bewitched, Award and Rhapsody
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Day Lillies need more sun?

Post by schreibdave » July 13th, 2019, 6:46 am

I rescued a bunch of day lillies from my buddies yard - they were about to be bull dozed - and planted them against the my house on the north east side. They get morning sun but not much in the afternoon. I have 7-8 bunches and they all seem to be sort of flopping over like these. They probably have some shock from being moved but I think they also want more sun. What do people think?

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity

Re: Day Lillies need more sun?

Post by ken-n-nancy » July 13th, 2019, 7:39 am

Day Lilies generally prefer full sun for maximum blooms. They generally need six hours of direct summer sun. If shaded part of the day, afternoon shade is preferred over morning shade.

When were they moved? If moved after the end of May, I wouldn't expect much blooming from them this year -- the goal is to get them to survive the summer this year so that you have blooms next year.

The transplanting means they will have limited roots, so just keeping them alive through the summer heat by daily watering will be an accomplishment.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » July 13th, 2019, 8:34 am

Yeah mine did great the second year after a spring split. Full sun, like all day, no shade ever.

schreibdave
Grass Type: Bewitched, Award and Rhapsody

Post by schreibdave » July 14th, 2019, 7:42 am

They were moved in eary june. And are in sun until about 1:30 in the afternoon

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity

Post by ken-n-nancy » July 14th, 2019, 8:52 am

schreibdave wrote:
July 14th, 2019, 7:42 am
Sun coverage sounds pretty good -- the extra shade will help them survive the transplanting better.

Make sure you're continuing to water them extra due to lessened roots from the transplanting until the fall. The flopping over may be due to being slightly wilted due to insufficient water to the leaves from the diminished roots.

I'd suggest the expectation for this year simply be to get them through the summer so that next year they can really thrive!

KBGkicksazz
Grass Type: KBG
Level: Some Experience

Post by KBGkicksazz » July 18th, 2019, 7:03 pm

I have rarely if ever seen a daylilly die.

In my shrub beds my daylilies and sedums don’t even have emitters to them and I never hand water them and the flourish.

It’s essentially a weed. Probably one of the most care free plants in the garden.

I have some in partial shade and they also flourish.

Still haven’t found a way to hurt them. 😂
ken-n-nancy wrote:
July 14th, 2019, 8:52 am
schreibdave wrote:
July 14th, 2019, 7:42 am
Sun coverage sounds pretty good -- the extra shade will help them survive the transplanting better.

Make sure you're continuing to water them extra due to lessened roots from the transplanting until the fall. The flopping over may be due to being slightly wilted due to insufficient water to the leaves from the diminished roots.

I'd suggest the expectation for this year simply be to get them through the summer so that next year they can really thrive!