Spring Interest - BULBS

Discuss flowers and annuals here
mobiledynamics
Grass Type: KBG / going to try TTF
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Spring Interest - BULBS

Post by mobiledynamics » September 25th, 2019, 10:30 am

I know the fellas at ATY are focused on your green lawns...

Who else here plant's spring bulbs (crocus/daffidols) under the lawn in certain areas just to have some nice spring interest bloom after a long wet winter. Or are you guys afraid it's going to mess up the lawn ;-)

In one area, I've got at least 400+ crocuses that come up 1st and right after that, about 150 double daffidols are in the same area.
Yes, some holes do get made from the stalk, but it look a bit funky as I let the greens stay for 7 weeks after the blooms brown out, but I consider it a -meadow look-

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Re: Spring Interest - BULBS

Post by TimmyG » September 25th, 2019, 5:32 pm

I haven't planted any intentionally yet, but I am careful of the few crocuses that have volunteered in the lawn. In time, I do want to plant crocuses in certain areas of the lawn, but I would only consider crocuses. Even their early leaves are trying to flourish during the first many mows of the season, so I have to avoid the volunteers or mow super high at a time that I'm trying to mow low. Daffodils wouldn't stand a chance. Either that, or I would have to let my grass grow into a field. My mutt lawn is not Emblem or Bewitched KBG; it gets up and goes early.

mobiledynamics
Grass Type: KBG / going to try TTF
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Spring Interest - BULBS

Post by mobiledynamics » September 25th, 2019, 6:18 pm

Yeah, the area where I've designated the bulbs are is not for the masses on upkeep. Braiding the daffidol leaves is a option but it does rob energy for the bulb energy so I let them stay green for 7 weeks before the get mowed down. During those weeks I am on my hands and knees with a pair of ARS hedge trimmers and hand scissors doing some -manual- mowing