Compost or Mulch for your Shrub Beds

Discuss flowers and annuals here
mobiledynamics
Grass Type: KBG / going to try TTF
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Compost or Mulch for your Shrub Beds

Post by mobiledynamics » June 17th, 2020, 8:49 pm

For the past few years, I've been tinkering using -compost- as my mulch in various places..... Just finished laying down 7 yards ontop of my compost in my shrub/flowerbeds. All I can say is ahhhh, nothing better than to have some nice deep brown dyed mulched to finish off the shrub beds.

I will note this. For the 1st time in the last 5 years, I have had zero sugar ants coming into the house like I would every spring... Maybe it's CV19 or maybe it's because I eliminated all the - wood mulch- on the beds that side on the sides of the house.

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.

Re: Compost or Mulch for your Shrub Beds

Post by turf_toes » June 17th, 2020, 9:03 pm

I would have suggested getting your mulch from a different source.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » June 17th, 2020, 9:05 pm

I've tried mulch, no mulch, and compost and still get the durned ants. Of course, I do nothing to deter them outside where they're natural and native, so they tend to do well out there and have plenty to eat since I feed organically.

My only solution is boric acid and sugar to kill them every spring when a queen decides the house looks good. Fortunately, the dogs leave it alone, but keeping my husband out of it is another story.

He can be deterred by a rolled-up newspaper, however.

I can only produce a small amount of compost at at time,about one large trashcan bin at a time or so, equivalent volume, as that's the room I have here in suburbia. It's enough for one rose bush and perhaps part of a tree...

mobiledynamics
Grass Type: KBG / going to try TTF

Post by mobiledynamics » June 17th, 2020, 9:23 pm

Before I jinx it, if I get sugar ants in 2021, then I will say it's got to be the wood mulch....on the beds that are on the perimeter of the house. I did lay this a bit thin for this year...just enough to make make the beds look nice and tight and finished.

I do use sluggo plus around my leafy shrubs, but I kinda/wanna say, there does seem to be less slugs when one is using compost as -mulch-

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » June 17th, 2020, 9:35 pm

Now those I get tons of. Last year, I got a call on a Tuesday night (guess who's also a DM at a local gaming store? This year, you'd think that would be canceled, but they do it virtually via Tabletop Simulator, so I get to listen to the game while I paint) saying, "Garage door, right side, slugs. Eighteen inches long, I swear. Two hit dice. Acid attack."

More like 12, but yes, slugs. I got first attack, critical hit with salt. I'm already a level 14 Druid, so that battle was over quickly.

I buy Sluggo in the 14 pound bag option on eBay from Kelp4Less. This is PA, it never stops raining in May.