A New Pomegranate

Discuss flowers and annuals here
MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

A New Pomegranate

Post by MorpheusPA » March 1st, 2021, 12:10 am

Just for fun, I sprouted a pomegranate seed last November from a pomegranate from the grocery store. This is the baby the resulted. I have plans on growing this into a small tree, but no grand hopes of it ever producing fruit in Pennsylvania (we get too little sun, although around me...)

To do this, take about six of the red pips, put them in a towel and pop them. Roll them around to dry them off, then lay them out on another towel to dry them off for about two to four weeks. Then plant. It can take up to another month to sprout in moist soil at warm temperatures, with one to four of the six sprouting.

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Re: A New Pomegranate

Post by bpgreen » March 1st, 2021, 1:02 am

I did some googling.

Theoretically, you should be able to get fruit if you get at least 6 hours of sun a day. But I suspect it would take a long time from seed. It's also supposed to be possible to grow them in containers.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: A New Pomegranate

Post by MorpheusPA » March 1st, 2021, 1:24 am

So they say, at an age of 2 to 3 years. And I certainly have the containers. :-) The above is a 2 1/2" pot, so that sprout is tiny and it has a very, very long way to go.

Six hours of sunlight in December in PA is going to be almost impossible. But eighteen hours of artificial light isn't. Apparently the varieties in the grocery store aren't the best for growing as home plants, but they're certainly the easiest to source, and since I guzzle those things by the pound... :-)