How to get rid of Hedge Bindweed

Discuss flowers and annuals here
Adam_M
Grass Type: Midnight, Bewitched, Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

How to get rid of Hedge Bindweed

Post by Adam_M » August 21st, 2023, 1:00 pm

Any suggestions on how to attack this foe? It seems to root all over the place and intertwines itself with shrubs/plants, which makes hitting it with roundup a little scary - even painting it. I've tried to RU leaves/portions that aren't way into the other plants, but with well ..no success.

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Re: How to get rid of Hedge Bindweed

Post by bpgreen » August 21st, 2023, 9:21 pm

I've dealt with field bindweed and was able to eradicate it, but it took years and nearly constant attention.

Bindweed is a tough plant that is practically designed to survive almost any attempt to kill it. Small pieces of the bines or roots can grow into new plants. And there seeds stre viable for decades.

I don't have any advice for you, but you have my sympathy.

glenforest
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by glenforest » August 22nd, 2023, 12:00 pm

I think I read about this approach on this website once upon a time. I tried it once with good results. Take a mason jar or pickle jar or similar and fill it part way with Roundup. Then work loose the leading end of the vine (cut it at a convenient point if you need to). Stuff the vine leaves and stem into the jar and leave it for a couple of days to absorb the Roundup into the plant. You may have to do multiple times with different shoots if you have multiple plants involved.

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000

Post by bpgreen » August 22nd, 2023, 3:05 pm

glenforest wrote:
August 22nd, 2023, 12:00 pm
I think I read about this approach on this website once upon a time. I tried it once with good results. Take a mason jar or pickle jar or similar and fill it part way with Roundup. Then work loose the leading end of the vine (cut it at a convenient point if you need to). Stuff the vine leaves and stem into the jar and leave it for a couple of days to absorb the Roundup into the plant. You may have to do multiple times with different shoots if you have multiple plants involved.
Actually, that works well. I forgot about that.

Something that may be worth trying is to dilute the roundup. That way, it kills the plant slowly, so the amount od roundup it takes in increases.

Adam_M
Grass Type: Midnight, Bewitched, Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Post by Adam_M » August 23rd, 2023, 12:56 pm

bpgreen wrote:
August 22nd, 2023, 3:05 pm
glenforest wrote:
August 22nd, 2023, 12:00 pm
Actually, that works well. I forgot about that.

Something that may be worth trying is to dilute the roundup. That way, it kills the plant slowly, so the amount od roundup it takes in increases.
Thanks - sounds like a good weekend task! We'll see how it goes.