Discuss flowers and annuals here
MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Firefly Petunia

Post by MorpheusPA » February 5th, 2024, 11:46 am

I admit it, this one got me.

They've inserted glowing mushroom genes into petunias to create the Firefly petunia that glows in the dark. https://light.bio/

I've ordered two for the season. At $84 for two, that wasn't exactly cheap. Updates to follow.

Sadly, reproduction at home is illegal, so it would be too bad if they happen to accidentally seed out or clone themselves.

ruth_mi
Grass Type: KBG mix
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Re: Firefly Petunia

Post by ruth_mi » April 7th, 2024, 5:55 am

I'll be really interested to read your updates and see how this is in real life. It sounds like it's a relatively small petunia (says it gets to be 8 - 10") and curious to know how it looks in the daytime and the effect from a distance at night. And yes, very curious to know if it accidentally seeds or clones itself because I plant in masses and don't do flower pots.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: Firefly Petunia

Post by MorpheusPA » April 25th, 2024, 8:51 pm

They've arrived and are currently brooding on my windowsill waiting for frost warnings to end (probably Saturday). So far...

They're cute little white petunias, and very nice just for that. The glow is about 1/20th of what it looks like as advertised, but they also do say that young, stressed plants don't glow (and that what you're shipped are young, stressed plants). I can certainly see them in a dark closet, but would you notice it in a garden? Not really, not at this point. So more updates to come around mid-May when they adjust and start to grow.