Winter Solstice: The Days Start Getting Longer

Post Reply
User avatar
andy10917
Posts: 29162
Joined: February 23rd, 2009, 10:48 pm
Location: NY (Lower Hudson Valley)
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Winter Solstice: The Days Start Getting Longer

Post by andy10917 » December 21st, 2020, 9:09 am

The Winter Solstice happened just after 5am ET this morning, and that means that the days no longer get shorter - the turn to each day being a bit longer has happened. Between COVID and the very short days, we all feel cooped up - we need every little hint that things get better in any little way we can get it. Between the promise of a vaccine for COVID and the beginning of longer days, hopefully our moods begin to improve as we move forward.

Stay safe, all - and enjoy time with the family during the holidays!

User avatar
MorpheusPA
Posts: 16597
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 7:32 pm
Location: Zone 6 (Eastern PA)
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: Winter Solstice: The Days Start Getting Longer

Post by MorpheusPA » December 21st, 2020, 9:49 am

Vampire-Americans, however, will experience shorter wake periods and faster-moving meals as the season moves on and general health improves. Their moods may suffer.

My BIL is a front-liner and got the Pfizer vaccine. His side-effects were...not fun, so plan for 12 hours of relative inactivity. That's now the second time I've heard that (out of two). Just FYI. I haven't heard from anybody who's had the Moderna vaccine yet.

User avatar
turf_toes
Posts: 5649
Joined: December 17th, 2008, 8:46 pm
Location: Central NJ
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Winter Solstice: The Days Start Getting Longer

Post by turf_toes » December 21st, 2020, 6:06 pm

I cannot wait for the end of 2020.

User avatar
andy10917
Posts: 29162
Joined: February 23rd, 2009, 10:48 pm
Location: NY (Lower Hudson Valley)
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Winter Solstice: The Days Start Getting Longer

Post by andy10917 » December 21st, 2020, 9:35 pm

Think of it this way -- this is the shortest day of the longest, longest, longest year ever.

User avatar
MorpheusPA
Posts: 16597
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 7:32 pm
Location: Zone 6 (Eastern PA)
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: Winter Solstice: The Days Start Getting Longer

Post by MorpheusPA » December 22nd, 2020, 12:40 am

On the up side, I've saved a fortune in gas. On the down side, I've spent a fortune in paint, brushes, and canvas.


bpgreen
Posts: 3589
Joined: January 3rd, 2009, 2:28 am
Location: Utah (Wasatch Front)
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Re: Winter Solstice: The Days Start Getting Longer

Post by bpgreen » December 22nd, 2020, 1:34 am

MorpheusPA wrote:
December 21st, 2020, 9:49 am
Vampire-Americans, however, will experience shorter wake periods and faster-moving meals as the season moves on and general health improves. Their moods may suffer.

My BIL is a front-liner and got the Pfizer vaccine. His side-effects were...not fun, so plan for 12 hours of relative inactivity. That's now the second time I've heard that (out of two). Just FYI. I haven't heard from anybody who's had the Moderna vaccine yet.
I hope the powers that be are doing a good job of preparing people for the side effects.

From what I've read, the first shot can have some unpleasant side effects, and you should plan ti take a day or two off after the second shot.

But that still seems very much worth it to me.

User avatar
MorpheusPA
Posts: 16597
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 7:32 pm
Location: Zone 6 (Eastern PA)
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: Winter Solstice: The Days Start Getting Longer

Post by MorpheusPA » December 22nd, 2020, 1:58 pm

bpgreen wrote:
December 22nd, 2020, 1:34 am
I hope the powers that be are doing a good job of preparing people for the side effects.

From what I've read, the first shot can have some unpleasant side effects, and you should plan ti take a day or two off after the second shot.

But that still seems very much worth it to me.
So far, they're not preparing anybody, really. Hopefully that changes.

But I'd rather have the shot than the disease, like always. A day of discomfort is nothing compared to a lifetime of the after-effects people are showing from getting sick (up to and including death).

I just had the shingles shots. That second one was, for me, not exactly fun. Still, having seen my father have shingles for months, I'd rather a day of shivering and a low fever. Plus I got to use the line, "Get me some juice or I will make your life heck."

bpgreen
Posts: 3589
Joined: January 3rd, 2009, 2:28 am
Location: Utah (Wasatch Front)
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Re: Winter Solstice: The Days Start Getting Longer

Post by bpgreen » December 24th, 2020, 1:18 am

MorpheusPA wrote:
December 22nd, 2020, 1:58 pm
bpgreen wrote:
December 22nd, 2020, 1:34 am
I hope the powers that be are doing a good job of preparing people for the side effects.

From what I've read, the first shot can have some unpleasant side effects, and you should plan ti take a day or two off after the second shot.

But that still seems very much worth it to me.
So far, they're not preparing anybody, really. Hopefully that changes.

But I'd rather have the shot than the disease, like always. A day of discomfort is nothing compared to a lifetime of the after-effects people are showing from getting sick (up to and including death).

I just had the shingles shots. That second one was, for me, not exactly fun. Still, having seen my father have shingles for months, I'd rather a day of shivering and a low fever. Plus I got to use the line, "Get me some juice or I will make your life heck."
I agree 100%.

And I should probably get the shingles vaccine.

User avatar
MorpheusPA
Posts: 16597
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 7:32 pm
Location: Zone 6 (Eastern PA)
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: Winter Solstice: The Days Start Getting Longer

Post by MorpheusPA » December 24th, 2020, 3:45 am

It's really not much of a problem. The first was a snap. The second was a sore arm for three days and a day of side effects.

edslawn
Posts: 127
Joined: July 2nd, 2019, 9:22 pm
Location: South Central PA
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Re: Winter Solstice: The Days Start Getting Longer

Post by edslawn » December 30th, 2020, 9:40 am

MorpheusPA wrote:
December 22nd, 2020, 1:58 pm
So far, they're not preparing anybody, really. Hopefully that changes.

But I'd rather have the shot than the disease, like always. A day of discomfort is nothing compared to a lifetime of the after-effects people are showing from getting sick (up to and including death).

I just had the shingles shots. That second one was, for me, not exactly fun. Still, having seen my father have shingles for months, I'd rather a day of shivering and a low fever. Plus I got to use the line, "Get me some juice or I will make your life heck."
I just got the first shingles shot in Nov and now I'm not looking forward to the second one. I knew a friend, though, who had it and I'd rather deal with the side effects for sure.

2020 has been a rough year... some positives like more time with my teenage kids and wife, but glad to see it go and looking forward to a working vaccine. Pretty amazing what they have accomplished in a very short period of time. Hopefully, this huge investment in the technology to come up with it pays dividends in the long term for medicine.

User avatar
MorpheusPA
Posts: 16597
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 7:32 pm
Location: Zone 6 (Eastern PA)
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: Winter Solstice: The Days Start Getting Longer

Post by MorpheusPA » December 30th, 2020, 2:38 pm

While I whine, the second one was really a day of shaking and being cold and running a fever of 99.1. Get it on a Friday. Pick up some cans of soup and plenty of tea on your way home. However, I watched my father suffer for months with shingles, nerve pain, rash, residual effects, and being completely unable to be touched on the right side of his entire back for weeks.

He had a nasty case. I had a case of chickenpox so nasty I almost got hospitalized. I'm glad there's a vaccine for that these days.

I'd rather shiver for a day. And if they upgrade the shingles vaccine and I can get an upgrade to my immune system, I'll get it.

User avatar
turf_toes
Posts: 5649
Joined: December 17th, 2008, 8:46 pm
Location: Central NJ
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Winter Solstice: The Days Start Getting Longer

Post by turf_toes » December 30th, 2020, 3:36 pm

MorpheusPA wrote:
December 30th, 2020, 2:38 pm
While I whine, the second one was really a day of shaking and being cold and running a fever of 99.1. Get it on a Friday. Pick up some cans of soup and plenty of tea on your way home. However, I watched my father suffer for months with shingles, nerve pain, rash, residual effects, and being completely unable to be touched on the right side of his entire back for weeks.

He had a nasty case. I had a case of chickenpox so nasty I almost got hospitalized. I'm glad there's a vaccine for that these days.

I'd rather shiver for a day. And if they upgrade the shingles vaccine and I can get an upgrade to my immune system, I'll get it.
I don’t completely disagree. In fact, I mostly agree. ;)

But I leaned a lesson 15 years ago about avoiding any medical procedures or treatments on a Friday.

If you end up with any sort of complication, the doctor you dealt with will almost certainly be out of touch for the weekend.

The office will tell you to just go to the Emergency Room. There you’ll wait 18 hours to see a first year resident.

I realize we are talking the shingles shot(s) (I got it when it first came out.)

But I got my shots on a Tuesday knowing I could run over to my family physician that day or the next, if I had any issues. In the past, he’d see me within 20 minutes if was important.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest