Where's the Rain in the Northeast?

CPascal
Grass Type: Back: 65% KBG (Bedazzled, NuDestiny, Rhapsody),20% PRG, 15% Firefly Hard Fescue. Front: Double Eagle Perennial Rye Shaded areas: Mix of fine fescues and Bewitched KBG
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

Where's the Rain in the Northeast?

Post by CPascal » May 14th, 2016, 9:26 pm

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

CPascal
Grass Type: Back: 65% KBG (Bedazzled, NuDestiny, Rhapsody),20% PRG, 15% Firefly Hard Fescue. Front: Double Eagle Perennial Rye Shaded areas: Mix of fine fescues and Bewitched KBG

Re: Where's the Rain in the Northeast?

Post by CPascal » May 14th, 2016, 9:30 pm

Sorry, folks. Working from my iPhone here. Really frustrated by the lack of rain here in the Boston area. Just way too dry for mid May. God knows what Summer will be like. Just venting about already having to drag out the hoses...

CPascal

Post by CPascal » May 14th, 2016, 9:30 pm

Sorry, folks. Working from my iPhone here. Really frustrated by the lack of rain here in the Boston area. Just way too dry for mid May. God knows what Summer will be like. Just venting about already having to drag out the hoses...

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by ken-n-nancy » June 3rd, 2016, 8:16 am

It has been a dry spring here in New England - at least here in Southern NH.

Combined total rainfall for the months of April and May in Manchester, NH was 2.91 inches, as compared to an average combined total of 7.91 inches -- 5.0 inches short of the average!

Our lawn has been fine with supplemental irrigation. Most lawns actually seem to be doing pretty well. Has me wondering if a dry spring makes it more likely that lawns will have trouble in the summer (since they're already stressed a bit) or if lawns will actually do better in the summer (since they've been encouraged to grow deeper roots to find water).

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » June 3rd, 2016, 8:39 am

A bit south of New England here (zip code 10917), it started off very dry and stayed a little on the dry side. But the timing has been perfect, and I have yet to actually let the irrigation system actually do its job.

Billybob
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by Billybob » June 3rd, 2016, 9:11 am

Weather in jersey been little unseasonably warm but the rain been perfect. 3-4 sunny dry days then an inch or more of rain every week. No watering here either

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » June 3rd, 2016, 10:04 am

CPascal wrote:[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Texas.

dfw_pilot
Grass Type: U3 Bermuda
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

It's all here.

Post by dfw_pilot » June 3rd, 2016, 3:56 pm

HLG is correct :)

No irrigation this year yet, either. My soil moisture probe reads zero. 0-200 is the range with 200 completely dry. I haven't seen 0 since I first put it in a glass of water just prior to installing it.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » June 3rd, 2016, 8:30 pm

Well you fellow lone star staters are swimming elsewhere! Ma nature is having a good ol time with us this year.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

CPascal

Post by CPascal » June 5th, 2016, 9:31 am

Of course I wake up to find that rain totals will be much less than originally forecasted. Happens every time.

Makes me want to go on a Bill Belichick style rant about how weather people are always wrong every single time.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by ken-n-nancy » June 5th, 2016, 2:12 pm

CPascal wrote:Of course I wake up to find that rain totals will be much less than originally forecasted. Happens every time.
For this reason, I rarely change my lawn watering habits based upon forecasted rain. Normally, if the lawn needs rain, I set the irrigation system to water during the coming night.

On Friday night, however, even though the lawn was due for water, I saw the forecast for Sunday morning was for 1-2 inches of rain. So, I figured that postponing the watering by one day would be fine, and decided to leave the irrigation system off to benefit from Sunday's rain. Well, instead of 1-2 inches, we've only received about a tenth of an inch.

There is another band of rain forecasted for tonight. Guess we'll see if it actually comes to fruition...