Winter Deicer

Masbustelo
Grass Type: Mazama KBG
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Winter Deicer

Post by Masbustelo » September 22nd, 2018, 11:26 am

I have a winter related question. Regarding deicer's and sidewalks etc., what is recommended on this forum for winter use?

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: Winter Deicer

Post by ken-n-nancy » September 22nd, 2018, 11:57 am

That's a good question that I don't recall seeing discussed a lot in the past. Then again, maybe that's because I usually completely "check out" of ATY and lawn care stuff from December through April every year...

I just don't use any de-icer on the walkway and driveway, but instead rely upon the snowblower and a snow shovel to keep it clear. That works pretty well for me, as my driveway and sidewalk fortunately get full sun for most of the day, even in the winter, and are basically as flat as a pancake so that we can put up with slipperiness for a short while after an icing event. However, others with a hill or even a gentle slope, particularly if the pavement is shaded, have a tougher challenge.

I'm really curious as to what others use to minimize damage to the adjoining grass or flowerbeds.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » September 22nd, 2018, 12:00 pm

I use Calcium Chloride - far less damage to walkways and far easier on lawn/plants. More expensive, but less damage and works at far lower temperatures than standard salt products.

spectrum1c
Grass Type: KBG front yard, Tall Fescue backyard
Level: Some Experience

Post by spectrum1c » September 22nd, 2018, 5:14 pm

I've always used salt in the past, but this post has me reconsidering its use this winter, especially as we have started to really put time into our lawn.

Does anyone have thoughts on urea? How about mixing in sand to whatever is used to cut down on chemicals?

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » October 10th, 2018, 10:45 pm

One definite issue with urea as ice melt is that it doesn't work in low temps.

Like Ken, I don't use a deicer, but try to snowblow/shovel early, and then let the sun take care of the rest.