New Landscape - Plants, Shrubs, Perennials, etc.

Casutherland
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

New Landscape - Plants, Shrubs, Perennials, etc.

Post by Casutherland » July 24th, 2017, 1:43 pm

Hey everyone,

So recently, my wife and I decided to hire a contractor to come in and install a fire pit, trim back our cedar tree line/weeds, and install some new landscaping (shrubs, perennials, etc.)

Here is a full list of everything that we are getting installed. I am incredibly excited, but slightly worried about the health of the plants. We have been going through a pretty rough patch of very warm weather. My concern is that the plants may struggle some. Can you guys please help point me in the right direction on how to care for these in hot weather? My plan is to try and keep them water every morning and evening for the first 2-3 weeks, and then reduce it to just morning after that. If I can just get them through the fall, I think they should be ok!

Thoughts?

4x Thuja Plicata 'Green Giant'
3x Japanese Aucuba 'Gold Dust'
3x Boxwood 'Wintergreen'
4x Hydrangea 'Annabelle'
3x Hydrangea 'Limelight'
3x Hydrangea 'Alice'
3x Virginia Sweetspire 'Henry's Garnet'
6x Spirea 'Magic Carpet'

Fronta1
Grass Type: Tall fescue
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: New Landscape - Plants, Shrubs, Perennials, etc.

Post by Fronta1 » July 24th, 2017, 5:37 pm

If they are mulched that will help a great deal retaining the moisture. Keep the soil slightly damp for the first week or so. Best practice is the check by touch and make sure it's dark black and slightly damp. If it is, just leave it. Water for a solid two to three minutes each time.

Casutherland
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Re: New Landscape - Plants, Shrubs, Perennials, etc.

Post by Casutherland » July 24th, 2017, 11:39 pm

Fronta1 wrote:
July 24th, 2017, 5:37 pm
If they are mulched that will help a great deal retaining the moisture. Keep the soil slightly damp for the first week or so. Best practice is the check by touch and make sure it's dark black and slightly damp. If it is, just leave it. Water for a solid two to three minutes each time.
They are mulching the area with pine straw. I will try to make sure I water each plant for about 2-3 minutes each every morning and evening. They are also putting in a drip irrigation system. So hopefully that will also help.