low maintenance, bright red perennials

Ocelaris
Grass Type: Greenish
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: low maintenance, bright red perennials

Post by Ocelaris » August 7th, 2014, 8:55 am

Yeah, triple super phosphate is probably fine, but I had done bone meal or regular phosphate, not sure what single is called.

Adding a cup of some phosphate fertilizer in the hole is the common tradition. Phosphate gets locked up pretty easily in the soil, as opposed to nitrogen, so if you're low, it doesn't hurt; but professor Google says it's not a huge deal either way. Since you probably already have a good idea of your soil deficiencies etc... If you're low, it's probably a good idea to add some, but if you already have enough it seems people don't seem much difference. Roses are heavy feeders, I give them a quarter to half a cup of osmocote slow release fertilizer (with micronutrients) in the early spring and late summer. Then water once a week deeply and slowly, twice a week if it's hot. Drip irrigation around the perimeter of the roots works great for this.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » August 7th, 2014, 10:41 am

Any reason normal starter fertilizer won't work? It's the same ingredients as the tiny expensive stuff haha.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Rokal
Grass Type: Kentucky Bluegrass
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by Rokal » August 12th, 2014, 8:09 am

HoosierLawnGnome wrote:Well I picked up several red double knockout rose shrubs on clearance tonight. I think I'm going to love them.

Knockout roses grow quickly. I need to dramatically prune mine at least once a season to keep them in check. Otherwise, these are easy and look nice. I haven't had any issues with diseases or pests, including Japanese beetles.