best time to plant bare root raspberries ?

Pelouse
Grass Type: Tall fescue(Bullseye,Hemi,Skyline)
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

best time to plant bare root raspberries ?

Post by Pelouse » January 26th, 2015, 7:44 am

I live in zone 7 Richmond VA I m really interested this year of planting raspberries .I got a couple of question about it

I went to my local garden supply and they are starting selling bare roots,Is February the best time to plant bare root raspberries ?

How much sun will this plants needs ?

should I Mix some compost with the actual soil or straight compost ?

thanks

virginiagal

Re: best time to plant bare root raspberries ?

Post by virginiagal » January 26th, 2015, 8:30 am

Here is a VA Tech publication on small fruit in the home garden. It discusses raspberries:
https://pubs.ext.vt.edu/426/426-840/426-840.html

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Pelouse

Post by Pelouse » January 26th, 2015, 12:34 pm

thanks for sharing this link but I have already red it . they don t talked about the best timing to plant them or either should it be in full sun knowing that the Virginia climates during summer is really hot .

virginiagal

Post by virginiagal » January 26th, 2015, 10:13 pm

It says to plant 4 weeks before the average last frost date, which for us is April 11-20. So mid March would be the planting time. It also says they do better in the cooler mountain areas and that the red kind are better than the others for warmer areas of the state.
Here is a question/answer on sunlight requirements: full sun or at least 6-8 hours:
http://extension.usu.edu/htm/faq/faq_q=1047
Here's another article on raspberries and in the question section the author says 6-8 hours of sun:
http://m.almanac.com/plant/raspberries
Good luck! I have blueberries and figs. No raspberries. Growing up on the farm in Louisa there were blackberries. And strawberries. If I had space I'd love to have strawberries.

Pelouse

Post by Pelouse » January 27th, 2015, 10:19 am

Thank you for responding this quickly to me .I guess i ll wait untill mid march before planting raspberries .I was interested by growing figs and blueberries too .Do you know what varieties does best in richmond for both how much sun they need and other requierment? I m a novice on that and this spring i wanna try a couple of fruit trees and bushes but have no idea what really does well with not too much maintenance in ric

virginiagal

Post by virginiagal » January 27th, 2015, 2:42 pm

I don't know my varieties; they were already there. Both need full sun. Blueberries prefer an acidic soil. On fruit trees you need to be aware of diseases that could affect them and spray accordingly at the proper times. They take up a lot of space in the yard and will shade nearby plants. But it is wonderful to have your own apples, for example.