Plant ID please

llO0DQLE
Grass Type: KBG and Creeping Red Fescue
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Plant ID please

Post by llO0DQLE » May 15th, 2017, 6:24 pm

Hi I was wondering if someone could tell me what these are. New house and full of plants I did not plant myself so I have no idea what they are. Also would appreciate any tips for caring for them. The leaves are browning, is this normal or sign of disease?

73Chall
Grass Type: Tall Fescue
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Plant ID please

Post by 73Chall » May 23rd, 2017, 6:15 am

Who boy, best of intentions here but, I am using my phone to view the pics you posted and, I am going to go out on a limb here and say the top pic looks to be a dwarf spruce variant and the the lower pic a mugho or dwarf mountain pine,

They are both conifer / evergreens so, more important questions are, what is causing browning (parasite insects or fungal disease?)
and what to do about it.

Long term, you can't go wrong by monitoring soil moisture (not too moist, these plants hail from relatively arid regions) and proper feeding (I.e. appropriate amounts of Hollytone +/or evergreen plant food, placed under each plants drop line (under outermost branch tips).

If insects, you might want to consider a systemic (I always found Orthene (IIRC) effective on Alberta spruces suffering from mite infections.

If fungal disease you will want to do research on what product to use.

Good news is those plants are known for their low maintenance needs so, once you reverse the browning, just feeding them twice a year and preventing prolonged drought should see them flourishing again!

llO0DQLE
Grass Type: KBG and Creeping Red Fescue
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Re: Plant ID please

Post by llO0DQLE » May 24th, 2017, 1:42 am

Awesome thanks! I'll look into those plants and suggestions.