edslawn
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Re: Rabbits

Post by edslawn » July 16th, 2022, 8:27 am

MorpheusPA wrote:
June 2nd, 2022, 11:38 am
I haven't tried, but wouldn't think so. Voles are a subterranean meat.

For that, try the following:

1 gallon water
1-2 oz castor oil (Soaper's Choice has castor oil cheaper but you can get smaller amounts at the drug store in the baby laxative aisle; kept dark and room temperature, lifespan is 5+ years)
1 oz soap or surfactant

Spray in area where voles or moles are seen. You very rapidly won't see them there, but they'll move to where this isn't, so I'd suggest protecting your property with it and keeping the shield up.

Why it works: oil+surfactant+fur+cold dirt = hypothermia and disgusting flavor (castor tastes like crap to most creatures, humans being an exception), diarrhea, stomach cramps... I'd move, too.
Ok, on Thursday, I put down 1.5 gallons of this mix. I have mole sign all over my beds and moving into the main yard. Heartbreaking to see the damage they have done to my front yard that was looking great until they got active. Fingers crossed... once again, thank you Morpheus!

edslawn

Post by edslawn » August 9th, 2022, 11:44 am

This has turned into war! I feel like I have a family of twenty moles eating my whole front yard. Makes me want to cry, but I am using the castor oil and also a sprinkling of mole killing worms strategically placed. I also have stepped up from the 4oz bottles from CVS to...

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » August 14th, 2022, 3:05 pm

Check the price of castor oil by the gallon at Soaper's Choice and see if it's cheaper. Maybe so, maybe no.

edslawn

Post by edslawn » August 15th, 2022, 8:06 pm

MorpheusPA wrote:
August 14th, 2022, 3:05 pm
Check the price of castor oil by the gallon at Soaper's Choice and see if it's cheaper. Maybe so, maybe no.
I was lazy and Amazon was easy, and I started to panic as the moles reacted to the spray by moving into other areas. You warned us, but I was pressed for time with summer travel (after COVID lockdowns, my wife is going nuts with trips this summer) and couldn't deal with it quite like I wanted. It is interesting... the vendor on the gallon bottle recommends 8oz oil/gallon water. Seems like a very heavy dosage.

With more trips planned, I'm now starting to think about how to re-seed for repair. I was hoping for a fall prodiamine treatment but that may not be in the cards with the level of repair I'm expecting.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » August 16th, 2022, 12:17 pm

Eight per gallon seems...excessive. Two to three is more normal, with surfactant to make sure the moles really don't like it. :-) Plus it mixes with the water when you add surfactant to form an emulsion.

edslawn

Post by edslawn » August 17th, 2022, 8:20 am

MorpheusPA wrote:
August 16th, 2022, 12:17 pm
Eight per gallon seems...excessive. Two to three is more normal, with surfactant to make sure the moles really don't like it. :-) Plus it mixes with the water when you add surfactant to form an emulsion.
I think I'm getting it under control now. The original activity was mostly underground with the tunnels visible from above. After two applications of the mix, I started to see a bunch of surface holes appearing (sort of like they were getting angry). Now, I am not seeing much activity anywhere so hopefully they moved out. Getting ready for the repair work over the next few weeks...

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » August 17th, 2022, 3:04 pm

Yeah, the surface holes are them trying to dry out the tunnels and themselves. It usually fails and they decamp.

But keep spraying after major rainfalls or they'll be back.