Do deer's like fertilized lawns?

texasweed

Re: Do deer's like fertilized lawns?

Post by texasweed » January 29th, 2013, 8:33 pm

andy10917 wrote:
You sure about that Andy?
AHEM!!!! TW, it wasn't me that made that comment.
Oops sorry about that Andy.

John_in_SC
Grass Type: Miscellaneous warm season
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by John_in_SC » January 29th, 2013, 8:36 pm

Rye, wheat, and oats aren't really "grass seed mixes"... They are cereals... Right?

Planting out "Shooter" plots with Oats, Rye, or whatever is pretty common - but those are usually the grain varieties... Check out the Total digestible protein and crude fiber numbers....

VERY different from Bermuda, Fescue, Bluegrass, or even other Miscellaneous Warm season grasses like Love grass, Barnyard grass, etc... Deer simply can't digest that stuff... Lots of white papers written about this...

I have seen folks use Annual rye - and it *kinda* works... initially.... because you go out 1 month before the beginning of deer season and dump a pile of seed... and it's fresh, new, green sprouts 1 month later on opening day.... but they aren't eating the stuff on January 1st unless there's absolutely nothing left to eat...

Ever seen Deer eating Bermuda... Especially mid-summer Bermuda.... Me neither.

Thanks

djlittle1977
Grass Type: TitanRX Tall Fescue

Post by djlittle1977 » February 1st, 2013, 10:31 am

Hey Andy, I haven't seen nor heard a deer in sight. Since I dropped the Liquid Fence 265 Granular Deer and Rabbit Repellent. Dude this stuff smells horrible OMG.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » February 1st, 2013, 5:36 pm

Hey Andy, I haven't seen nor heard a deer in sight. Since I dropped the Liquid Fence 265 Granular Deer and Rabbit Repellent. Dude this stuff smells horrible OMG.
You think THAT stuff smells? I posted and used a home-brew version that worked well, but people half a mile away died and melted where they fell. "Liquid Fence" is close to Chanel #5 compared to that stuff.

Since you applied it, you now need to start tracking heavier rains - the stuff lasts 4 weeks or so if it's reasonably dry during the period, but 3 weeks or so if it's wet with heavy rains.

Did you use the RTU or the concentrate, and how much area do you need to cover?

djlittle1977

Post by djlittle1977 » February 1st, 2013, 7:15 pm

The RTU 2 5lbs shakers which covered 10 thousand square ft....

texasweed

Post by texasweed » February 2nd, 2013, 12:56 am

John_in_SC wrote:Rye, wheat, and oats aren't really "grass seed mixes"... They are cereals... Right?
Yes they are grasses also called Cereals and Grains. However all mentioned are part of Poacae or Grass family. The other family of Cereal Grains is Pseudocereals which include Buckwheat, Chia, and Quinoa. Back home in TX the Coops sell a blend of seed called Deer Grass which is a blend of what I mentioned.

In TX just about all private property worthy of deer hunting is leased out for big bucks, and hunters with leases, especially bow hunters will bait their leases with forage grass and feeders. Then set the blinds adjacent to the area on the prevailing down wind side. The fun starts in late August and early September with preparing the Area for an last September Saturday open, and First Sunday January following year close in north TX.

Frogamigo
Grass Type: green

Post by Frogamigo » February 4th, 2013, 3:06 am

Milorganite keeps the deer away, liquid fence helps too but it clogs my sprayer. Bird netting over leaves and bushes will always work but it's not as aesthetically pleasing and the growth can get tangled in it if the plant is still growing. Good for Fall/winter care.

Deer will eat ANYTHING, I have seen them eat euphorbia, rhodies, vinca, ferns, and foxgloves before. Not daffodils yet. Kinda wish they would. But they stay away for a few weeks after I put down milorganite. guess what my go-to fertilizer is now... :)

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » February 4th, 2013, 11:31 am

Over the years, I have found that there is an order to what deer will eat in winter, and what they will avoid. Depending on the severity of the winter, they will favor certain plants (taxus) and ignore the rhodos and holly. Severe winters see them eventually hit the rhodos and on rare occasions they'll even eat Holly.

djlittle1977

Post by djlittle1977 » February 5th, 2013, 9:42 pm

Hey Andy, I did some research here's what I found. Deer's tend to eat new growth grass versus mature grass. What do you think?

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » February 5th, 2013, 11:20 pm

Hey Andy, I did some research here's what I found. Deer's tend to eat new growth grass versus mature grass. What do you think?
I think that I wish I could get them to eat grass. I have 1+ acre of grass that is an aggressive cultivar. It's the $50 hosta plant that grows 3" in a good year that I wish I could keep them away from, without spending a fortune.

Seriously, does the lawn grow so slowly that the amount a few deer eats is noticeable? Certainly not in my yard.

chef_christopher
Grass Type: unknown

Post by chef_christopher » March 13th, 2014, 9:00 pm

ok, so this is a bit off-topic, but how about squirrels? I've used Havahart Deer Off II Deer, Rabbit, and Squirrel Repellent, Ready-to-Use Spray and it seems to deter the squirrels from rummaging through the garden.

But there are one or two who like to dig up the lawn. For no apparent reason. over the last half of the summer, and into fall, the whole plot was pot-marked with unplaced divots. Any ideas on how to keep them off the lawn? It is so bad at this point, I may need to sod... thoughts?

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » March 13th, 2014, 10:06 pm

You may think this is flippant, but other than guns, there is only one thing that I have seen control squirrels in 30 years of living on a piece of property almost surrounded by trees. Hawks. Unfortunately, they can't be purchased at HD.

I have tried everything else. I have defeated deer. Squirrels? Not so much.

chef_christopher
Grass Type: unknown

Post by chef_christopher » March 13th, 2014, 10:44 pm

That is kinda what I figured. We are the only "patch" of grass in the area (city block). everyone of my neighbors has a concrete "backyard." We've been here four years, and the first three, were pretty squirrel-free. Then...

I have just purchased a trap--looking to "relocate" the critters in a nice park about 3/4mi. away. We have some nice redtail hawks in Manhattan--they like the high-rises and the fancy "city" life. I'll keep the forum posted on my efforts.

In the meantime, I need to re-seed or sod. I wonder if sod would deter the squirrels' digging? any thoughts or advice?

Oh, the backyard, it is about 15'X30'. I read the http://aroundtheyard.com/renovations/pr ... 13034.html post thread about renovating the lawn from scratch. I am curious to see what others will weigh-in with, as jmorc2003 has the same 70% dirt as I now have....

https://picturelife.com/VjeUhHkF8AP8LTR ... SvwU99v7OA

Mairatasley
Grass Type: bermuda

Post by Mairatasley » July 4th, 2023, 6:01 am

texasweed wrote:
February 2nd, 2013, 12:56 am
John_in_SC wrote:Rye, wheat, and oats aren't really "grass seed mixes"... They are cereals... Right?
Yes they are grasses also called Cereals and Grains. However all mentioned are part of Poacae or Grass family. The other family of Cereal Grains is Pseudocereals which include Buckwheat, Chia, and Quinoa. Back home in TX the Coops sell a blend of seed called Deer Grass which is a blend of what I mentioned.

In TX just about all private property worthy of deer hunting is leased out for big bucks, and hunters with leases, especially bow hunters will bait their leases with forage grass and feeders. Then set the blinds adjacent to the area on the prevailing down wind side. The fun starts in late August and early September with preparing the Area for an last September Saturday open, and First Sunday January following year close in north TX.
I agree to this.

Mairatasley
Grass Type: bermuda

Post by Mairatasley » July 7th, 2023, 5:06 am

Mairatasley wrote:
July 4th, 2023, 6:01 am
texasweed wrote:
February 2nd, 2013, 12:56 am

I agree to this.
do not forget to contact the local wildlife before using any kind of repellents