Dealing with rabbits

kbgfarmer
Grass Type: Bewitched Kentucky bluegrass
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Dealing with rabbits

Post by kbgfarmer » April 16th, 2017, 4:30 pm

I have a few rabbits living under my deck. They are very annoying. They eat the grass blades and leave their droppings on my lawn. They have no fear of me. I can get within feet of them before they run away. I have tried using a Havahart live trap without luck. I wouldn't mind killing them but I live in a liberal town and the tree huggers might get angry if I try to shoot them with a air rifle. Is their a way to poison them although I don't want them dying under my deck and rotting. What are my options?

Swamp_Fox
Grass Type: KBG, Creeping Red, Rye
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Dealing with rabbits

Post by Swamp_Fox » April 16th, 2017, 10:58 pm

I can't think of a poison a rabbit would happily eat, I'd really urge against poisoning anyways. I'd guess you live more in the City of Madison if you're worried about the neighbors. Imagine how angry the neighbors will be if you poison one of their pets, kids, or whatever else wanders in to your yard. If you can get within feet of them I'd just use the airgun personally. Otherwise I'd keep trying to trap them, maybe get some barley rabbit treats from the pet store to lure them in. After that you can relocate or shoot them. But I would strongly urge against putting poison out, there's just too many risks involved.

Tsmith
Grass Type: KBG Bewitched Monostand

Post by Tsmith » April 16th, 2017, 11:09 pm

How about preventing them from getting under the deck?

I'd also vote against poison as you can't guarantee only the rabbit will eat it. I've been dealing with raccoons since October and admit the thought has crossed my mind but I really don't want to do it and also don't want a yard full of dead animals as I get a lot of other visitors including possums, cats, groundhogs, etc

kbgfarmer
Grass Type: Bewitched Kentucky bluegrass
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by kbgfarmer » April 18th, 2017, 7:56 pm

I've tried though inadvertantly to keep them from getting under the deck. I used to dig out all the construction debris and big rocks from my lawn in the first few years after my house was. Built and didn't have anywhere else to put them so I placed them under my deck. Rabbits are pretty flexible though and all they need is a little space to get in. Any other tricks to block off the area? Guess will have to try the live trap some more. I'm only used to real guns but are air guns loud? Will I freak out all the hippies?

Tsmith
Grass Type: KBG Bewitched Monostand

Post by Tsmith » April 18th, 2017, 9:17 pm

Packing stuff under the deck isn't going to help and will just give them better places to hide. You should be able to put something up around the bottom of your deck to prevent the rabbits from going under.

A lot of ppl use I believe it's called lattice that can be nailed or screwed on which has holes to let air through but not big enough for rabbits to crawl through. I've even seen videos of ppl using chicken wire for something like this. You may need dig and go down into ground a few inches to make sure they don't dig under.

Swamp_Fox
Grass Type: KBG, Creeping Red, Rye

Post by Swamp_Fox » April 18th, 2017, 11:07 pm

Lattice can be a huge help, you can place field fencing behind it to make the holes even harder to get through. I have a Gamo air gun and it's pretty dang loud, supersonic for sure. The 22 cal air guns tend to be quieter. I think you could trap them without much trouble, you'll just have to play with your bait, I know they like certain fruits. The pet store would have things they might go for too. I know that some people out alfalfa meal on their lawns, if you're one of those people that would be a big attractor to the rabbits.