Ant control

flyingfish88
Grass Type: TTTF/PRG/FF
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Some Experience

Ant control

Post by flyingfish88 » May 20th, 2019, 10:53 am

Hi Everyone,

wanted to see if anyone had any good recommendations on ant control?

Always have had good number of ants (large, small and winged), but seeing a bit more this year. Have several areas in the yard where they have built nests. They tend to find their way onto my deck and into the house eventually.

Looking for something to deploy on the nests and on the deck that could address them. Please let me know if you have had any luck with anything from a big-box store, amazon or elsewhere.

thanks!
Dan

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Ant control

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » May 20th, 2019, 11:22 am

I spray black flag ant spray around the house perimeter early spring and fall. It does great. I get the concentrate and use a backpack sprayer. Blanket spray 3 ft up the side of the house and 3 feet out.

HoosierDaddy
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Prosperity/Midnight/Blueberry; Back: Midnight/Prosperity/Blueberry
Lawn Size: 3000-5000

Post by HoosierDaddy » May 20th, 2019, 12:40 pm

I use Terro brand granules. Need to water them in after, but they usually provide season long control. Bag has a built in shaker and is easy to deploy. I use this as a barrier around the house, but let the guys do their thing in the yard.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by ken-n-nancy » May 20th, 2019, 2:01 pm

I'm a huge fan of the use of fipronil to eliminate ants. My results have been nothing short of astounding.

Don't just take my word for it, though. Read through the online reviews at domyown.com as well:

https://www.domyown.com/taurus-sc-termi ... -1816.html

The above product is what I've used on the exterior. For an interior product, I'd suggest one of the following, which I have also used with excellent results.

https://www.domyown.com/maxforce-fc-ant ... p-102.html

https://www.domyown.com/maxforce-carpen ... p-112.html

However, I should also mention that once I started using the exterior product as a perimeter spray, I haven't had any interior ants, either.

flyingfish88
Grass Type: TTTF/PRG/FF
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by flyingfish88 » May 21st, 2019, 9:19 am

thank you Hoosiers and Ken n Nancy!

my goal will be to start on the exterior and hopefully eliminate/reduce the interior intruders.

this gives me plenty to start with. appreciate the help!

Dan