New house lawn

Wazowski
Grass Type: I don't know
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

New house lawn

Post by Wazowski » August 12th, 2020, 1:35 am

Finally, I moved to a new house, yay! I looked for a new house in the last half of a year because my wife gave birth to our second daughter and we decided to move to a bigger house. Now I have a backyard (with a Pindo palm) about 7000 square feet and I'd like to take care of the lawn. Fortunately, the former house-owner didn't take care of the lawn, and I have an opportunity to do everything myself.
First of all, I want to get rid of the awful wooden makeshift mailbox covered with something stinky and to buy a locking model. I think about this one, but I'm not sure about its reliability, so if there are any locksmiths here, share your thoughts, please. The second step is to choose a grass type. I'd like to find something slowly-growing to use the mower less frequently, I'm open to your recommendations!

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: New house lawn

Post by andy10917 » August 12th, 2020, 7:42 am

You're going to have trouble getting answers with this posting, the way it is currently structured. You're trying to cover two very different topics in one posting. I'd recommend rewriting it as two postings - one (in Other/Misc subforum) about the mailbox, and another in "Cool Season" forum exploring grasses for your lawn. Once you've picked a grass type, create a thread in "Lawn Renovations" only if you're going to kill the entire lawn and start from scratch.

Mixing multiple topics in one posting just doesn't work well - it means that it gets comments that don't read well, and members give up reading a messy thread and don't bother answering.

Wazowski
Grass Type: I don't know
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by Wazowski » August 13th, 2020, 4:58 am

andy10917 wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 7:42 am
You're going to have trouble getting answers with this posting, the way it is currently structured. You're trying to cover two very different topics in one posting. I'd recommend rewriting it as two postings - one (in Other/Misc subforum) about the mailbox, and another in "Cool Season" forum exploring grasses for your lawn. Once you've picked a grass type, create a thread in "Lawn Renovations" only if you're going to kill the entire lawn and start from scratch.

Mixing multiple topics in one posting just doesn't work well - it means that it gets comments that don't read well, and members give up reading a messy thread and don't bother answering.
Thanks for the advice, I'll keep it in mind next time :wave:

schreibdave
Grass Type: Bewitched, Award and Rhapsody
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by schreibdave » August 13th, 2020, 7:27 am

I wish someone would start stealing the mail from my mailbox.

As for a slow growing grass type for WA, I'm on the opposite side of the country so I have no idea. In fact, even if you were my neighbor and said that minimal mowing was your priority, I wouldn't know what to suggest. Actually, you could do what most of my neighbors do: dont fertilize or irrigate and when you do mow, cut it really low! Just kidding. Don't do that.