Random Mulch Question

snachs
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Random Mulch Question

Post by snachs » May 16th, 2012, 2:50 pm

I'm getting my mulch delivered for the front this weekend. I think I could get away with 3 yards this year but don't want to run low but am pretty confident I don't need the full 4. If I get the 4, can I bag some (say in a contractor trash bag) and save for fall when I want to refresh the small beds that line my walkway? Any downside?

HanLawn
Grass Type: COCHISE IV,FALCON V,FAITH TTTF + KBG

Re: Random Mulch Question

Post by HanLawn » May 16th, 2012, 2:59 pm

You could, the only downside I have ever found is the stored bagged mulch can get a white colored fungal growth on it- I dont think it is harmful,but does not look too pretty.Allowing the mulch to dry out {spread on tarp in driveway to bake in sun} before bagging it may reduce/eliminate the fungal growth.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » May 16th, 2012, 3:03 pm

If you have a handy location, you can also pile it up. It's going to start to compost, but it's wood so that will be quite slow. You can cover it if you want to keep rain out.

snachs

Post by snachs » May 16th, 2012, 3:30 pm

thanks! Another random question that doesn't apply to mulch at all but oh well, I'll hijack my own thread. I have deck railing boxes that I filed with potting soil last weekend. I used a hydrogel...presaoked it and just kind of added handfuls and mixed throughout. I just went out and looked and all of a sudden, there is quite a bit of hydrogel at the surface and the soil feels very spongy.

The product label gave application rates for dry gel and I kinda winged it since I had premoistened it. What is the danger of having added too much? I only planted in 1 of the 4 containers so far so I could always start over but would prefer not to. i would guess I added 1 part hydro gel to 20-30 parts soil but now it appears as if that ratio is more like 1 to 10.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » May 16th, 2012, 4:34 pm

The danger? Spongy soil that collapses when dry. 1:10 is an AWFULLY high ratio...

Excess hydrogel tends to appear up top, where the sun hits it and it breaks down in a matter of weeks. But a lot won't migrate upward and it can cause issues.

If it were me? Even if I risked the 1 container, I'd be much more careful with the other 3...

snachs

Post by snachs » May 16th, 2012, 4:52 pm

I"m going to scoop off the top layer and replace with new soil. It really didn't feel like i was overdoing it that much. Thanks!

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » May 16th, 2012, 7:42 pm

Just dump the top layer in the other containers...it may contain enough hydrogel all on its own!

I do find that a very small pinch (of the dry stuff) goes a very, very long way. Over the entire garden, 2,000 square feet, planted with a grand total of 1,100 plants this year, I used 2 1/2 pounds. I've never done that before except in one or two very small areas.

Of course, that 2.5 pounds can hold at minimum 500 extra pounds of water. Which sounds like a lot until you realize that 500 lbs is about 56 gallons, or 0.05 gallons (six ounces) per plant.