2016 Vegetable Garden

User avatar
Redtenchu
Posts: 1796
Joined: August 31st, 2014, 10:03 am
Location: Oklahoma
Grass Type: Bermuda

Re: 2016 Vegetable Garden

Postby Redtenchu » June 9th, 2016, 9:12 am

ECUPirate wrote:

The ones in the back look like cucumbers instead of squash.

Good looking garden either way.
Oh! I forgot to ask when she got home, thanks.

She is having a problem with her squash (flowers?) rotting before they produce. Anyone know what she might be doing wrong, or steps that can be taken to fix this? I'll take a picture tonight when I get home if that'll help.
User avatar
ECUPirate
Posts: 302
Joined: April 1st, 2014, 10:58 am
Location: Eastern NC
Grass Type: Centipede front / Converting to Bermuda back

Re: 2016 Vegetable Garden

Postby ECUPirate » June 21st, 2016, 10:21 am

Redtenchu wrote:

She is having a problem with her squash (flowers?) rotting before they produce. Anyone know what she might be doing wrong, or steps that can be taken to fix this? I'll take a picture tonight when I get home if that'll help.
Rotting or falling off? Squash and zucchini produce male and female blooms and the female blooms are the ones that produce fruit. The males are the pollinators and will fall off without producing fruit.
User avatar
Redtenchu
Posts: 1796
Joined: August 31st, 2014, 10:03 am
Location: Oklahoma
Grass Type: Bermuda

Re: 2016 Vegetable Garden

Postby Redtenchu » June 21st, 2016, 10:25 am

ECUPirate wrote:
Redtenchu wrote:

She is having a problem with her squash (flowers?) rotting before they produce. Anyone know what she might be doing wrong, or steps that can be taken to fix this? I'll take a picture tonight when I get home if that'll help.
Rotting or falling off? Squash and zucchini produce male and female blooms and the female blooms are the ones that produce fruit. The males are the pollinators and will fall off without producing fruit.
That must be it, we've gotten some squash in the past few days so I forgot to follow up. I'll let her know about the M/F flowers.
User avatar
Michael Wise
Posts: 4554
Joined: August 3rd, 2010, 10:36 pm
Location: Hensley, AR
Grass Type: Tifway 419

Re: 2016 Vegetable Garden

Postby Michael Wise » June 21st, 2016, 10:29 am

+1 And the male flowers usually show up first, IME.

Female flowers will be attached to a miniature fruit of the plants variety. When pollenated, the flower will fall off, and the fruit will grow. If not pollenated, the fruit will shrivel up and fall off.
User avatar
Redtenchu
Posts: 1796
Joined: August 31st, 2014, 10:03 am
Location: Oklahoma
Grass Type: Bermuda

Re: 2016 Vegetable Garden

Postby Redtenchu » June 21st, 2016, 10:31 am

That's very interesting! I wouldn't have guessed there was M & F flowers.

User avatar
Michael Wise
Posts: 4554
Joined: August 3rd, 2010, 10:36 pm
Location: Hensley, AR
Grass Type: Tifway 419

Re: 2016 Vegetable Garden

Postby Michael Wise » June 21st, 2016, 10:33 am

Fun fact: The flowers are also edible. The more you know.
User avatar
Mightyquinn
Posts: 4354
Joined: July 1st, 2009, 3:42 pm
Location: Southeast NC
Grass Type: Bermuda Tifway 419 Monostand
Location: Fayetteville, NC
Contact:

Re: 2016 Vegetable Garden

Postby Mightyquinn » June 21st, 2016, 1:33 pm

Michael Wise wrote:Fun fact: The flowers are also edible. The more you know.
I miss your fun facts!!!! :)


Sent from my iOS device using the Yard Help App
User avatar
Michael Wise
Posts: 4554
Joined: August 3rd, 2010, 10:36 pm
Location: Hensley, AR
Grass Type: Tifway 419

Re: 2016 Vegetable Garden

Postby Michael Wise » June 21st, 2016, 2:09 pm

Haha! I had forgotten about all the fun facts.
User avatar
Michael Wise
Posts: 4554
Joined: August 3rd, 2010, 10:36 pm
Location: Hensley, AR
Grass Type: Tifway 419

2016 Vegetable Garden

Postby Michael Wise » June 29th, 2016, 7:48 pm

Got about 5 lbs. of yukon gold potatoes tonight. The plants died a little prematurely, but I'm happy with what I got. This was from 10 small seed potatoes.
ImageUploadedByYard Help1467243999.836985.jpg
ImageUploadedByYard Help1467244100.948822.jpg

[ Post made by a potato farmer ]
User avatar
Redtenchu
Posts: 1796
Joined: August 31st, 2014, 10:03 am
Location: Oklahoma
Grass Type: Bermuda

Re: 2016 Vegetable Garden

Postby Redtenchu » June 29th, 2016, 8:53 pm

Harvest time is the best!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest