Rased Bed Veggie Garden - Soil Source

OldGlory
Grass Type: Carl Spackler Hybred: KBG; Featherbed Bent; Northern California Sensemilia
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by OldGlory » February 23rd, 2015, 9:54 am

Hi I am planning a raised bed veggie garden about 5x10 10 inches deep. I am looking for suggestions on the best way to source clean garden soil. In the past I have used bulk 50/50 mix of compost and topsoil purchased in bulk from a local nursery. I am concerned about pesticides and other chemicals included in the compost from lawn clippings and other treated sources of organic matter used to make the compost. I am not opposed to using chemicals on my lawn but want to avoid it in the soil used to grow my food. I am located in North Shore Mass. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I would make my own compost but my yard is too small to make large enough quantities. Thanks!
Last edited by OldGlory on February 25th, 2015, 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Rased Bed Veggie Garden - Soil Source

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » February 23rd, 2015, 10:20 am

I do square foot gardening and use Mel's Mix. Works for me!

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.

Post by turf_toes » February 23rd, 2015, 10:22 am

It's a good question. I don't have any immediate ideas to answer it. But I recall a member located in philly had very high lead levels in his soil. Probably not an issue for your lawn.

My in-laws had their house in Pennsylvania purchased by a locally owned energy utility after it was discovered the soil contained high levels of benzene and other chemicals known to cause cancer.

The suburban neighborhood was situated on a manufactured gas facility from the 1890s.

The utility company was responsible for the site because one of its antecedent companies owned the facility.

But my father-in law was an avid veggie gardener.

I now think it crazy that folks plant veggies in soil without knowing what's in the soil. Sure, you might live in the suburbs. But what was the site used for 100 years ago? Cleanup in those days meant burying the problem where you couldn't see it.

Sent from my iOS device using the Yard Help App

OldGlory
Grass Type: Carl Spackler Hybred: KBG; Featherbed Bent; Northern California Sensemilia

Post by OldGlory » February 24th, 2015, 6:43 am

Thanks - I would need 45 bags of Mel's for my bed. It would be around $400 way to pricey. Looking for bulk options. TT that is why I am concerned. You never know what is in the soil. I live in a new development and I am finding all kinds of junk when I dig hole for a tree or shrub.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » February 24th, 2015, 11:40 am

I found concrete, asphault, and larger rocks - even last season as I was renovating. Comes with the territory. I'm with you though - I keep chemicals away from my food.

John
Grass Type: St. Augustine

Post by John » February 24th, 2015, 1:45 pm

I'm a stickler for a clean growing environment. Two summers ago I built 2 raised beds for vegetables about your size and made my own soil which was a 50/50 mix of compost and garden soil. Both the compost and garden soil were bought at Walmart - Scotchman's Choice Organic for the compost and whatever was the cheapest garden soil, don't remember what it was. From what I recall the total soil cost for each bed was ~ $150. Additionally, I used untreated lumber for the bed construction.

OldGlory

Post by OldGlory » February 24th, 2015, 4:54 pm

I worry about the bagged stuff as well. My local nursery sells Coast of Maine bags I may look into that.

BoatDrinksQ5
Grass Type: 9k of KBG (2013 sod) Blue-tastic, Corsair, BlackJack, Empire

Post by BoatDrinksQ5 » February 26th, 2015, 5:40 pm

Yes, I wouldn't think of bags of dirt sold at Walmart as being black gold... lol

John

Post by John » February 26th, 2015, 6:27 pm

As I said I'm a stickler for a clean growing environment and I'm not going to buy whatever. I try to be thorough in my research and it doesn't include personal anecdotes or what Joe down the street does. The research involved finding science-based testing which told me that those brands sold at Walmart, as well as many other places, were OK. And they were less expensive at Walmart. I'm all ears if you can definitively explain why something isn't any good just because it's sold at Walmart.

The OP asked for thoughts on making soil. What are your thoughts?

OldGlory

Post by OldGlory » February 27th, 2015, 9:02 am

Thanks guys!

Walmart is not the place I would first think to look for quality organics but I am all ears as well if they have it and it is good.

I am not looking to make soil because I don't have the space. I am looking for a cheap source of clean garden soil to buy...hopefully cheaply.

Some leads I have come up with so far are these:
Seacoast Farms Brentwood NH but their website is down
Ideal Compost out of Peterborough, NH. idealcompost.com - But delivery is pricey
Black Earth Compost Salem, MA - blackearthcompost.com

BoatDrinksQ5
Grass Type: 9k of KBG (2013 sod) Blue-tastic, Corsair, BlackJack, Empire

Post by BoatDrinksQ5 » February 27th, 2015, 9:19 am

John - by all means if you know their stuff is good stuff, or have looked into it, that's more than i have. I just know their business practices and as a lowcost/value store they sell/select products on price.

When you have that it drives suppliers to do some unsavory things... Can just see a guy with a backhoe saying..."It tested high....aaah...just blend it with that 'ok' stuff from that pile... heck it's just dirt! Gotta make the quota today"

However there has to be(?) plenty of tests that can be done on whatever soil you choose to test for many of the nasty stuff you wouldn't want.

I guess unless extensive soil testing is required by a store or this biz marketing plan or EPA (is this common?)... their is a good chance dirt is dirt from many suppliers. Maybe better... maybe worse then what the average lot has backfilled. Just in my nature to question things. I guess i've never noticed a bag or a poster in a supply yard say "tested clean of 115 contaminants", does that exist?

Now if I knew my soil was badly contaminated... then any compost from the county or dirt from a supplier will likely be better or the same...

John

Post by John » February 27th, 2015, 1:14 pm

BoatDrinksQ5

I'm not a fan of Walmart and don't like many of their business practices, however I'm like many and get sucked in by their low costs and agree that low cost production can result in some unsavory stuff. As a matter of principle I shouldn't give them my business, but I do.

Regarding the compost which I bought there - it's sold numerous places throughout the Dallas area, I was able to verify its quality (not from any Walmart statements) and felt comfortable in buying it. I'm also skeptical of any claim which can't be verified. I spend a lot of time in nurseries and garden centers and have never seen any sign promoting soil quality.

OldGlory

If not making your own compost it's difficult to verify if you're really getting good stuff. Here's a lab in Maine that does compost testing:

https://woodsend.org/

One of their typical studies (dated 1998):

https://woodsend.org/pdf-files/survey.pdf

It might be worthwhile contacting them to see if they can help.

John

Post by John » February 27th, 2015, 1:14 pm

BoatDrinksQ5

I'm not a fan of Walmart and don't like many of their business practices, however I'm like many and get sucked in by their low costs and agree that low cost production can result in some unsavory stuff. As a matter of principle I shouldn't give them my business, but I do.

Regarding the compost which I bought there - it's sold numerous places throughout the Dallas area, I was able to verify its quality (not from any Walmart statements) and felt comfortable in buying it. I'm also skeptical of any claim which can't be verified. I spend a lot of time in nurseries and garden centers and have never seen any sign promoting soil quality.

OldGlory

If not making your own compost it's difficult to verify if you're really getting good stuff. Here's a lab in Maine that does compost testing:

https://woodsend.org/

One of their typical studies (dated 1998):

https://woodsend.org/pdf-files/survey.pdf

It might be worthwhile contacting them to see if they can help.

OldGlory

Post by OldGlory » March 2nd, 2015, 9:31 am

Thanks John once I settle on a source of soil I will have it tested.

John

Post by John » March 2nd, 2015, 9:57 am

Since they test a lot of compost I was thinking they should be able to tell you their recommendations.

OldGlory

Post by OldGlory » May 16th, 2015, 2:50 pm

Went with one yard each of clean screened topsoil and organic compost from Northeast Nursery. Will be delivered Monday.