Hosta Observation: Less Sun Scalding

This Forum is for gardening discussions in areas that vary from less than full-sun to deep shade.
andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Hosta Observation: Less Sun Scalding

Post by andy10917 » August 15th, 2019, 9:26 am

I started regularly applying Nu-Film P as an adjuvant to prolong the effective period of "Liquid Fence" deer repellent, and while it worked well for that purpose, I've also found that there is another nice side-effect to the use of it.

Some of my hosta are in areas that permit too much sun for Hosta, and those perenially have issues with sun-scalding. Those Hosta did not scald at all, or much less (depending on the amount of direct sun) this year.

Follow-up research says that this is an effect from the use of Nu-Film.

It's time next year for an experiment to do with/without testing!

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Re: Hosta Observation: Less Sun Scalding

Post by TimmyG » August 15th, 2019, 12:31 pm

Intriguing.

But you know, Andy, there are other plants besides hostas that actually do quite well in sun. Just a thought! :duel:

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » August 15th, 2019, 1:34 pm

Yeah, true. but when you have many hundreds of Hosta plants that require splitting and you're bridging from one garden to another, you're bound to wind up with a few that are in spots that get more sun than they like. I *think* that there is also some Nu-Film effect on Hydrangeas, but it's not as pronounced as the Hosta -- Hydrangeas don't sun-scorch as much as wilt in sun.

I had one hosta that grew so fast and I didn't split it for a number of years - when I did it had 132 eyes. Now all of those "children" have done the same thing. Owwwww, my back!!!

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Post by TimmyG » August 15th, 2019, 3:02 pm

Well, in that case, you just need to create more shade. (Don't hear that too often on ATY.) I've got my share of hostas in a wee bit too much sun but only because I planted them where they will be plenty shaded in a few years' time as their adjacent young trees mature. I've accepted the sun scorching knowing that it's temporary. But, if like you, I had summertime deer pressure and were already spraying Liquid Fence, I'd be all over your new finding.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » June 15th, 2020, 8:21 am

We are very close to the peak sun angle for the year, and I don't have a single Hosta that has scalded/scorched this year. I have no other explanation than the dialed-in Nu-Film P applications. I'm personally moving this from an interesting observation to a confirmed practice.