Shade plants for stabilizing steep bank

This Forum is for gardening discussions in areas that vary from less than full-sun to deep shade.
GeorgeH
Grass Type: By seed weight to 10 % SRO Puritan Colonial Bentgrass, 40 % SR 5250 Strong Creeping Red Fescue, 50 % SR 5130 Chewings Fescue.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Shade plants for stabilizing steep bank

Post by GeorgeH » July 10th, 2016, 2:27 pm

After many years we are finally putting some stairs on our steep bank off our back yard in order to get better access to the small lake we live on.

The canopy during the summer and fall filters out nearly all direct sunlight and the soil tends to get pretty dry and dusty when the weather is dry.

This is near Seattle and other than the obvious native plants like the sword ferns currently growing, what additional options should I consider? My wife will likely want to add some of her gardening magic to the trail but I also need plants with deep roots that can thrive and help stabilize the bank.

This is a relatively long trail so bulk sourcing is preferred. I can try to transplant ferns and other native plants but we haven’t had a lot of success, especially when it is warm and dry since irrigation is not practical but also not necessary for 2/3 of the year.

Thanks.

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Re: Shade plants for stabilizing steep bank

Post by TimmyG » July 10th, 2016, 9:55 pm

73Chall
Grass Type: Tall Fescue
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by 73Chall » July 8th, 2017, 10:48 pm

Also suggest Vinca Minor

Especially available in bulk (buy rooted plants via internet -- late summer early fall may be the ticket as far as timing (mulch heavily 1st winter)

ds_nh
Grass Type: KBG, Fescue, Rye
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Post by ds_nh » May 1st, 2022, 10:38 am

I have the same question. I'll do some research on the options. Thank you.