Hosta- Too late to divide?

This Forum is for gardening discussions in areas that vary from less than full-sun to deep shade.
Wally
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Hosta- Too late to divide?

Post by Wally » January 30th, 2013, 9:17 am

Hosta's. Planed on dividing in the fall until Sandy messed up plans. Can I divide in winter?

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Hosta- Too late to divide?

Post by andy10917 » January 30th, 2013, 10:40 am

I would wait for them to begin to wake up, but not long after. If done it winter when they're dormant, the cuts won't heal and they may rot. Done too late, they'll be OK but lopsided the whole season. I like to divide them as the spikes come up, or around Labor Day.

PS: I moved the thread to "Shade Gardening" where all the Hosta topics are...

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by ken-n-nancy » April 1st, 2021, 6:15 pm

andy10917 wrote:
January 30th, 2013, 10:40 am
I would wait for them to begin to wake up, but not long after. If done it winter when they're dormant, the cuts won't heal and they may rot. Done too late, they'll be OK but lopsided the whole season. I like to divide them as the spikes come up, or around Labor Day.

PS: I moved the thread to "Shade Gardening" where all the Hosta topics are...
Yes, I know this is an old thread, but the question is exactly the one I was looking to ask, as I have some hosta I had been hoping to divide last fall, but didn't end up having the time for it in the fall.

I'm currently wondering what the best time is for spring division. When you say, "as the spikes come up" do you mean that (brief) time when the spikes have just emerged from the ground and are about an inch tall or so?

So far, no spikes have emerged, but the day tulips are about 4-6 inches tall, the day lilies are a couple inches tall, and the tiger lilies are just poking through the ground in a few places...

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by ken-n-nancy » April 1st, 2021, 6:30 pm

Oh, and while I'm at it, I figured I'd ask if Andy has any suggested changes to what you wrote about dividing hosta nearly 10 years ago....
andy10917 wrote:
August 2nd, 2011, 9:00 pm
OK. Back to work. Dividing Hosta...

It's really easy. Wait until very late August or even Labor Day. Then gently tie the leaves upward and dig the roots out - 15" to 18" away from the center. Lift the plant out and wash the dirt off of the roots.

Once the dirt is off, you'll see where the "eyes" are. That's where the leaves will come from next year. Depending on how many eyes there are (it can be up to 20 ore more), you determine how many plants to make from the one plant. It's generally a good idea to divide such that each split will have at least 2-3 eyes - while the plant will make it with as little as one eye, they look kind of scraggly for a year with one eye. I never divide a plant more than four ways.

Once you know how many Hosta will be split, take the straightest, "sharpest" shovel you have and push it down through the root to split it off. I actually prefer to untie it and cut with the shovel from the top, but most first-timers are so concerned about not breaking off a few leaves that I leave it up to them. Decisiveness is important here - a single cut should split it, not a hack job of 10 gentle pushes.

Each Hosta goes into a hole by itself. The hole should be heavily-amended with lots of compost, peat moss, etc. If you have the budget, some SoilMoist or TerraSorb is great sprinkled under the roots. Put the Hosta in its new home level with the point it was at when it was removed.

If the Hosta is out of the soil for more than 10 minutes, just stick it in a pail of water while you dig out its new home.

Water it every day for at least a week. They love water.

PS: If you are moving/splitting more than one mother plant, dip the shovel in a water/bleach solution (9 parts water, 1 part bleach) between plants. Otherwise, any plant infected with the HVX virus will be spread to uninfected ones that are split after the infected plant.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » April 1st, 2021, 7:05 pm

No, but I'm getting better with a machete...