New to hostas

This Forum is for gardening discussions in areas that vary from less than full-sun to deep shade.
Debo214
Grass Type: I don't knoe
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

New to hostas

Post by Debo214 » June 1st, 2015, 8:02 pm

My order of 10 hostas from Gilbert Wild and Sons came today. They have been soaking in water for 6 hours now. It's pouring rain here so I can't plant them. Would it be okay to put them in some potting soil until I can get them in the ground next weekend?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: New to hostas

Post by andy10917 » June 1st, 2015, 8:18 pm

If it's a day or so, just leave them in the water - I have left them in a wheelbarrow for a week, but it's not a best practice.

I have some concern about the long-term viability of Hosta in Central Florida. Read this:
Hostas need to lose their leaves and go into dormancy each year. They need a temperature of under 43 degrees Fahrenheit for a period of 30 days although longer and colder is better. If orange trees grow in your area, hostas will not do well there
In very warm climates, they tend to decline and get smaller and smaller over 2-3 years.

Debo214
Grass Type: I don't knoe

Post by Debo214 » June 1st, 2015, 9:17 pm

andy10917 wrote:If it's a day or so, just leave them in the water - I have left them in a wheelbarrow for a week, but it's not a best practice.

I have some concern about the long-term viability of Hosta in Central Florida. Read this:
Hostas need to lose their leaves and go into dormancy each year. They need a temperature of under 43 degrees Fahrenheit for a period of 30 days although longer and colder is better. If orange trees grow in your area, hostas will not do well there
In very warm climates, they tend to decline and get smaller and smaller over 2-3 years.
Well poo. Glad I only ordered 10! Thanks for the info before I created an entire bed!! I will still plant them and see how they fare:)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

dfw_pilot
Grass Type: U3 Bermuda

Post by dfw_pilot » July 29th, 2015, 11:47 pm

Now wait a minute - what does this"Andy" character know about hostas anyway?

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » July 30th, 2015, 7:44 am

Now wait a minute - what does this"Andy" character know about hostas anyway?
Not enough.