Buying hostas -- where?

This Forum is for gardening discussions in areas that vary from less than full-sun to deep shade.
TheOscarGuy
Grass Type: don't know/mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Buying hostas -- where?

Post by TheOscarGuy » May 13th, 2016, 9:22 pm

I am new to Hostas. Last year we bought 5 plants from Home Depot and planted them. They seemed like they would shrivel and die -- we also had deer eat the plant leaves and I was sure that they were a goner.
This year the plants have come back to life, with more leaves than I remember from last year. I love their look and can not wait for them to get older.
We have another area in our yard, top of the slope, where there is plenty of shade (though it does get some morning sun). I would like to plant Hostas there. I am a little confused as to where to source them from. I found from these forums an online vendor:

http://www.gilberthwild.com/Hosta-25-Mi ... fo/O%2D25/

and was thinking of getting 25 mixed hosta plants from here. But my wife pointed me that Home Depot typically carried plants that are $3.50 per plant. Her reasoning was that we can look and see the plants we are buying (from HD/lowes) and the price seems reasonable, why not buy it from local HD rather than online vendor.

Price wise I don't see much difference -- $50 for 25 plants from Gilbert H Wild and $10 for shipping takes it to $60 for 25 plants. HD is still costly but not by that much, and all of this under the assumption that both plants are similar in size.

Am I missing something here? My goal is obviously to have a dense, fully grown foliage from plants I buy as soon as possible. To me, there does not seem to be much difference in plants I am getting -- can someone school me if I am making a mistake buying it from HD and not from Gilbert? Is there sizing difference between these two? Quality? I am easy to please, and I like the ones I got from HD last year. I thought I will mention that again, I am not a Hosta expert!

I can not see HD plants online, but lowes has something comparable here:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_51130-33652-NUR ... &Ntt=hosta

to give an idea of what I can get from local HD/lowes, vs Gilbert which is posted on their website.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Buying hostas -- where?

Post by andy10917 » May 13th, 2016, 9:54 pm

If you need the instant gratification, by all means buy the HD stuff. The Gilbert Wild stuff with come as shriveled roots, 10 to a bag. I love them, but they take time and effort to take off. I buy them 100 at a time ($1 each). They pay me back with better growth in Year 2, and I have never had a Hosta with Hosta Virus X, but I've seen them at the Big Box stores.

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » May 13th, 2016, 11:18 pm

Are they bigger than what you get at local stores?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » May 14th, 2016, 9:35 am

What you get in the mail is a bag of roots. In the bag are dried-up, shriveled roots (and nothing more) that you are 100% sure are 100% dead. The roots for one plant weigh less than an ounce.

Want to see how a bed of 223 of them happens? Read Creating Hosta Bed #214.

Here's a discussion of the same bed at Age 4: More on Hosta Bed 214

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » May 15th, 2016, 6:49 am

So there isn't any difference in size then?
That is my primary goal - fastest growth to fully grown plant in next two three years.

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » May 16th, 2016, 5:41 am

Ordered 25 from the bunch variety (mixed) and 5 giant ones. I simply could not find Giants in box stores and had to have them as well after seeing pictures and videos online.

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » May 25th, 2016, 9:59 am

Got the hostas yesterday. The larger variety of hostas were small plants and the smaller onces are roots. They gave me extra variety as well, and its marked which type it is so thats nice. Planted the large ones today and plan to do the small once in the evening or tomorrow.
I will update this post with pics. on their progress.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » May 25th, 2016, 8:10 pm

The "giants" are tissue-culture plants and will take several years to reach "giant" status. It is likely that the root plants will be larger this year.

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » May 26th, 2016, 1:15 pm

andy10917 wrote:The "giants" are tissue-culture plants and will take several years to reach "giant" status. It is likely that the root plants will be larger this year.
Good to know.
The free one is a root plant as well, so that should also grow quicker this year.
I am seeing more and more opportunities of planting hostas everywhere! Yesterday I suggested we rip out some turf and grow Hostas there simply because its right by our driveway and would look pretty as you enter. The wife shot down the idea.