Feeding hosta

This Forum is for gardening discussions in areas that vary from less than full-sun to deep shade.
TheOscarGuy
Grass Type: don't know/mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Feeding hosta

Post by TheOscarGuy » May 19th, 2016, 9:23 am

We have several hosta beds that previous owners had planted. We did not do anything last year (first year of ownership), and am wondering if Milorganite/BSF will work. Some have mulch in their beds others don't.
We also have 50+ hostas coming in from Gilbert H Wild next Monday. I was thinking of using peat moss + compost for the beds. Anything else I should be adding?
The hostas will be planted on a "hill" on the property where it gets lots of shade.

Billybob
Grass Type: TTTF

Re: Feeding hosta

Post by Billybob » May 19th, 2016, 4:59 pm

I'm no expert but this is my 2nd season with hostas and I threw down some milo around a 2-3 weeks ago when they were emerging and wow they look great. I have a few that are just poking through so I will hit them tomorrow.

I've read here that they don't need much fertilizer but can't hurt this time of year with milo.

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » May 20th, 2016, 7:03 am

Billybob wrote:I'm no expert but this is my 2nd season with hostas and I threw down some milo around a 2-3 weeks ago when they were emerging and wow they look great. I have a few that are just poking through so I will hit them tomorrow.

I've read here that they don't need much fertilizer but can't hurt this time of year with milo.
Do you have mulch around them, and if so did you put it on the side and then feed Milo to the plant or just spread it around?

Billybob
Grass Type: TTTF

Post by Billybob » May 20th, 2016, 3:42 pm

I pulled the mulch back, sprinkled milo around, watered in ( don't need to water) n put mulch back in place.

When using organic it's not that big deal.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » May 25th, 2016, 10:00 am

Billybob wrote:I pulled the mulch back, sprinkled milo around, watered in ( don't need to water) n put mulch back in place.

When using organic it's not that big deal.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Thanks, I am following same steps now.