Want to add sulfur(?) to my irrigation tank?

The place to discuss irrigation systems, sprinkers and watering
CCinPA
Grass Type: Tall Fescue Blend (sod)
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Want to add sulfur(?) to my irrigation tank?

Post by CCinPA » October 11th, 2019, 9:56 am

I currently have my irrigation output water set to 6.0 pH with the use of sulfuric-acid; But my soil tests show a level of 7.1 pH. I prefer not to add anymore sulfuric-acid. In addition, I applied sulfur to the lawn last fall; By now it's effect should have lowered the pH. Suggestions?

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both

Re: Want to add sulfur(?) to my irrigation tank?

Post by bpgreen » October 12th, 2019, 1:04 am

I don't think applying sulfur to the surface of a lawn will do much, if anything, to change the ph.

If you bury sulfur, you can change the ph temporarily, but I'd suggest doing that only in a targeted approach to treat individual plants that are chlorotic.

You can use something like morganite or bay state to get chelated iron to help with greening.

If you haven't already done so, I'd recommend getting a soil test from Logan labs and let the soil gurus here give you a plan to get your soil in the best shape you can. Ph doesn't exist in a vaccuum.

CCinPA

Post by CCinPA » October 12th, 2019, 9:50 am

bpgreen wrote:
October 12th, 2019, 1:04 am
I don't think applying sulfur to the surface of a lawn will do much, if anything, to change the ph.

If you bury sulfur, you can change the ph temporarily, but I'd suggest doing that only in a targeted approach to treat individual plants that are chlorotic.

You can use something like morganite or bay state to get chelated iron to help with greening.

If you haven't already done so, I'd recommend getting a soil test from Logan labs and let the soil gurus here give you a plan to get your soil in the best shape you can. Ph doesn't exist in a vaccuum.
>>>> We are on the same page here. I do test tissue and soil testing regularly. The soil test result(s) show the nutrient(s)/biological(s) are within acceptable margins. But, the tissue tests show that the soil nutrients are not getting absorbed. Therefore, the most notable number is the high pH level of the soil.

I'm going to research the two products you mention. Then, I'll be back!

CCinPA

Re: Milorganite and Bay-state

Post by CCinPA » October 12th, 2019, 8:48 pm

Read about Milorganite and Bay-state... Although good products, neither appear to lower pH... Yes?

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both

Post by bpgreen » October 12th, 2019, 11:07 pm

They don't lower ph. They have iron that is naturally chelated, sho your head can use it even in high ph soil.

I don't think you'll have much luck getting your ph to change with sulfur. As I said, sulfur works best when used to target individual plants (I've read that it can help in warmer areas, but I don't have any direct experience).

You mentioned that you get regular soil tests, but my suggestion was ro get one from Logan labs so the soil gurus here can come up with a plan. I don't really know that much about soil chemistry, so I can't really help much. The soil gurus here can help, but they only interpret tests from Logan labs. I don't think they directly address ph, but they work with the ratios of various elements. Since I don't understand the chemistry, I'm not sure, but I think that getting things in the right balance eventually helps with the ph as well.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » October 13th, 2019, 6:31 pm

BP knows a lot more than he thinks he knows. Almost all he said is correct, although he may not understand the chemistry at play.

You cannot permanently change the pH of soil in the North with surface-applied Sulfur or anything else practical. What we do is to adapt your program/regimens to use forms of Iron that remain available at higher pH's. We can only do that with a full soil test (we only interpret tests from Logan Labs), and all soil test interpretations are ended by the end of October. Do one in the Spring.

CCinPA

Irrigation Mixing-tank / Down-low pH

Post by CCinPA » October 13th, 2019, 7:17 pm

I get the short-term and long-term thing.

I believe I can "control" the pH level by adjusting the output of my irrigation/mixing-tank/injector.

Then there is the "what can I do now" to lower the pH?

This is information I did not provide before... But it seems you-all may have additional valuable suggestions?

CCinPA

"Control" pH with the Injector - Then...

Post by CCinPA » October 14th, 2019, 7:06 pm

On the issue of testing... Attached are my recent soil and tissue test results. Feedback? Give it to me... I can take it!

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » October 14th, 2019, 7:38 pm

The volunteerss that do the soil interpretations only do it for tests performed by Logan Labs. We can't know the test suites that are performed by all of the labs in North America, so we selected a lab that is aligned with the data we need.

See the sticky posting at the top of the Soils/Compost Forum for more details.

CCinPA

Post by CCinPA » October 14th, 2019, 7:46 pm

Bummer. I work closely with the PennState turf-grass folks and this is the company suggest and use.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » October 14th, 2019, 8:10 pm

So, if you work closely with them, have them interpret it.