Zone Balancine via Cup Test

The place to discuss irrigation systems, sprinkers and watering
lVlrBoJang1es
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Zone Balancine via Cup Test

Post by lVlrBoJang1es » April 26th, 2023, 11:23 am

Performing my cup test today using these handy fellas - third or foruth test i've done across 3 different irrigation systems over the years:
https://www.amazon.com/Sprinkler-Bright ... 5928&psc=1

Always been curious, how much imbalance is acceptable between catch cups?

For example, my first zone i've just completed (30 minute run time) looks something like this:

Cup 1: 1.2"
Cup 2: 0.65"
Cup 3: 0.75"
Cup 4: 1.2"
Cup 5: 1.4"
Cup 6: 0.7"
Cup 7: 1.4"
Cup 8: 0.65"
Cup 9: 0.3"
Cup 10: 1.5"

Average: 0.975" per 30 minutes = .0325"/min

Cups were spread randomly throughout the 20'x20' round-ish zone. Some on perimeter (lower numbers), some centered (high numbers) etc., low wind today.

This system is new as of a 2022 landscaping install. I wasn't able to micromanage the design and installation (work travel) - it's marginally "aceceptable" i'd say in terms of what i'd look for, outside of doing it myself.

Previously i've calmed myself down about the imbalance by reasoning that the water will permeate slightly laterally as it soaks in. Could be a sleeping pill though - should i actually be concerned?

I AM happy with the drop rate here though. I was over an hour and a half in most zones at my last location to drop 1"...

Riverpilot
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Re: Zone Balancine via Cup Test

Post by Riverpilot » April 26th, 2023, 3:06 pm

I would check that the heads are covering the entire area that you want, and would check what kind/size nozzles you have on each head.

Getting 1.5" in the center and only .3" on the edge is a bit concerning... you might need to change the area of each head, nozzle size, etc.. to see if that helps.

My system isn't all that great in terms of even coverage either. I kind of regret not paying more for a company I knew would do better work, etc.. but.. :shrugs:

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » April 26th, 2023, 8:13 pm

It's a decided meh. The 0.3" is a killer, the 0.65" aren't great. If you were targeting an inch, you'd target about 20-25 minutes, and that would short the low-end areas. You could fill in with a sprinkler, but that kind of defeats the purpose here. Run times of 45 minutes would solve some problems, but over-water areas, and that's a waste--and still wouldn't solve everything.

In the area surrounding Cup #9, might it be possible to change heads to get increased coverage? Just raising 0.3 to 0.65 would make me happier as long as it doesn't negatively impact everything else too badly. Alternately, cut down the output of the heads servicing Cups #5, #7, and #10 and see if that increases the output around Cup #9 if lower pressure is a problem? A combination of both might be required depending on system balance.

lVlrBoJang1es
Grass Type: KBG
Level: Some Experience

Post by lVlrBoJang1es » April 27th, 2023, 12:12 pm

Cool cool. Thanks for the inuput guys! Kind of what i expected.

I had full intentions of more or less designing the system myself. During preliminary site visits for the landscaping project, i expressed some of my concerns based on previous irrigation installs i've experienced. In that moment, i could tell these guys were lanscapers and not irrigation installers. Due to work load and travel at the time, i wasn't able to provide them with a design to suit my wants aside from a few suggestions on zone break up.

At my last residence i had this idea that i could create a CAD layout of my yard / head coverage, and through several cup tests create a "heat map" of coverage/drop rates and adjust accordingly.

For now, i won't loose too much sleep over it aside from a few tweaks. Some day, if i ever have time (less and less of that it seems), and i'm still in my current residence, i'll go nuts and really dial it in!