Slighted by Water Monopoly - need advice

The place to discuss irrigation systems, sprinkers and watering
crabgrass
Grass Type: Established TTTF/FF mix with some KBG overseeded - Fighting invasive Bermuda.
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by crabgrass » July 14th, 2016, 1:09 pm

Local private water monopoly shut our water off yesterday. I paid through online banking billpay as usual on 6/20. They claimed it was never received but the bank confirmed on a conf call with the water collections dept and emailed proof. I also separately paid the required amount to get water back. I asked for some sort of compensation credit but the refused, only offering an apology.

Any ideas for dealing with a monopoly? I don't really want money as much as I want to do my part to let them know this I not OK.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Slighted by Water Monopoly - need advice

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » July 14th, 2016, 1:16 pm

Let's see - get very assertive and start calling regulatory oversight boards and local governments officials. Go straight to the top of their organization.

We got a $3000 water bill once. The help desk was a joke - it was a well-designed stonewall tactic. We went straight to the top, and had our money back not too long thereafter.

Not to get too political - but this is precisely why you don't want monopolies - government run or privately held.

Michael Wise
Grass Type: Tifway 419
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by Michael Wise » July 14th, 2016, 1:48 pm

Might not be the fastest or best course of action, but we have a news outlet that loves this kind of stuff.

Chances are you are not the only one and this happens often.

Just an idea. A lame one, but an idea.

Tsmith
Grass Type: KBG Bewitched Monostand

Post by Tsmith » July 14th, 2016, 1:55 pm

I had a similar situation about 8 years ago when they were changing the meters from manually read to cellular which required the tech to get in my house.

They apparently sent me a letter which I either didn't receive or just tossed so I wasn't home when they came out and instead of leaving a note they decided it would be best to just shut my water off with their excuse being they couldn't accurately bill me anymore.

I was obviously furious when I got home and even more so after I called and was told if I wanted my water turned back on that night I'd be charged $100 otherwise I'd have to wait until some time the following day. I was given every excuse and had to talk to several people but eventually someone came out and turned my water back on at no charge and scheduled time for someone to replace meter with new cellular meter.

Sent from my iOS device using the Yard Help App

Darkshadow
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF

Post by Darkshadow » July 14th, 2016, 2:36 pm

Contact the North Carolina Utilities Commission if you haven't already. You may be able to register a complaint against the water company if you haven't already.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity

Post by ken-n-nancy » July 14th, 2016, 2:44 pm

crabgrass wrote:Local private water monopoly shut our water off yesterday. I paid through online banking billpay as usual on 6/20. They claimed it was never received but the bank confirmed on a conf call with the water collections dept and emailed proof. I also separately paid the required amount to get water back. I asked for some sort of compensation credit but the refused, only offering an apology.

Any ideas for dealing with a monopoly? I don't really want money as much as I want to do my part to let them know this I not OK. ..
After reading the above, it's not clear to me if your water is back on yet?

crabgrass
Grass Type: Established TTTF/FF mix with some KBG overseeded - Fighting invasive Bermuda.

Post by crabgrass » July 14th, 2016, 3:07 pm

ken-n-nancy wrote:
crabgrass wrote:Local private water monopoly shut our water off yesterday. I paid through online banking billpay as usual on 6/20. They claimed it was never received but the bank confirmed on a conf call with the water collections dept and emailed proof. I also separately paid the required amount to get water back. I asked for some sort of compensation credit but the refused, only offering an apology.

Any ideas for dealing with a monopoly? I don't really want money as much as I want to do my part to let them know this I not OK. ..
After reading the above, it's not clear to me if your water is back on yet?
Due on by 5 pm today EST. I'm at work and wife took kids out since no water.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity

Post by ken-n-nancy » July 14th, 2016, 4:28 pm

I'm surprised that a utility is allowed to turn off the water due to a single missed bill, due to health and sanitation reasons.

I know that in New Hampshire, electric and gas utilities cannot turn off electric or gas due to a single missed bill in order to avoid people freezing in their homes.

I am surprised there isn't a similar protection for water service. I would think inability to flush toilets and get clean water for drinking would be considered a health hazard.

I don't have first hand experience with this, as our household water all comes out of the well...

crabgrass

Post by crabgrass » July 14th, 2016, 7:03 pm

Believe it - this is Aqua America. They are the second largest non-municipal water/sewer provider in the States - $6B market cap. A municipal provider would play by compassionate rules. These other companies fill the gaps with what appears to be looser policies and ethics.

dfw_pilot
Grass Type: U3 Bermuda

Well

Post by dfw_pilot » July 14th, 2016, 7:08 pm

How fast can you dig a well?

Tony alony
Grass Type: St. Augustine

Post by Tony alony » July 14th, 2016, 7:45 pm

My 02¢. Consumer advocacy organizations are your friends against monopolies. Don't be of the mindset that all oversite committees are out to consume your tax dollars. Be a part of, or at least support them. Some consumer committees/ organizations are useful; politics aside.

LoneRanger
Grass Type: Front/Side - Emblem, Back - Panterra V

Post by LoneRanger » July 14th, 2016, 10:06 pm

Pfft. I would go to the valve and turn it back on myself.

crabgrass

Post by crabgrass » July 15th, 2016, 12:16 am

We turned them on last night, then back off this morning to avoid "fines". I have a T-bar, etc.

LoneRanger
Grass Type: Front/Side - Emblem, Back - Panterra V

Post by LoneRanger » July 15th, 2016, 8:02 am

^ Yep. Gotta do whatcha gotta do.

Ware
Grass Type: Bermuda

Post by Ware » July 15th, 2016, 9:26 am

crabgrass wrote:We turned them on last night, then back off this morning to avoid "fines". I have a T-bar, etc.

Just be careful... with advanced metering infrastructure ("smart meters"), utilities can automatically generate reports of meters showing usage that should be zero consumption. Additionally, they took a meter reading when they shut you off. Good luck if it doesn't match when they come back to turn you on. I understand you feel slighted, but subsequently tampering with a utility's facilities will not help your case at all.

crabgrass

Post by crabgrass » July 15th, 2016, 1:38 pm

I know - calculated risk with two dogs, three children, and 110 degree heat index, since it was not our error. I started the call at 4:30 and did not finish until 5:30, when "no crews were available".

There was a lock that we popped off. "What lock?" it has an old school meter. I said the probably noted the before and after, but was relying on disinterest of crew. If there was a cell device then we would have laid off.