New Lawn Irrigation System

The place to discuss irrigation systems, sprinkers and watering
LoneRanger
Grass Type: Front/Side - Emblem, Back - Panterra V
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: New Lawn Irrigation System

Post by LoneRanger » October 19th, 2016, 10:50 am

^ That is so it will go unnoticed by inspectors, when the house sells. The trenching was the half-[banned word] part.

tsfrance
Grass Type: I don't know

Post by tsfrance » October 20th, 2016, 3:14 pm

So I am ready to connect the valve to the frost free hydrant and I will need a couple of fittings but Im not sure what and I would like to buy them online. I know that to connect into the frost free faucet I need a 3/4" pipe thread fittings and that piece will lead me to a T. Do they even make a T that would work for a 1" PVC Slip on one side and then something that will let me add a normal outdoor faucet on the other end? Thanks.

rtomek
Grass Type: Elite KBG Sod (unknown cultivars)
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Post by rtomek » October 20th, 2016, 5:28 pm

I hit a power line going to my shed that was only 3" deep. At some point I'll just repair it and leave it there, but it's been two years now so maybe I won't. It was spliced to the sump pump anyway so something happening in the shed could theoretically cause my house to flood :club: First thing was to un-double-tap the circuit. There was also plenty of room to expand if they had started using half width breakers.

I know where it is now so I won't hit it, and I don't see any ROI for trenching and running a new line. That's why they leave it like that.

g-man
Grass Type: Mix (mostly KBG)

Post by g-man » October 20th, 2016, 9:05 pm

tsfrance:

This is one area I dont like to buy online. A trip to a good hardware store will save you some headaches.

- From the picture in your first post, I think you need a garden hose thread instead of a 3/4" pipe thread.

- From your last diagram, it seems like to did a single branch. Why do you need to T? It is not clear to me what you are planning to do.

- One item I do suggest is getting a short (3 or 6ft) hose leader to connect from the frost free to you main connection point.

- Do you have a plan on how to winterize it? I recommend getting one of these : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017C ... UTF8&psc=1

J_nick
Grass Type: Bermuda

Post by J_nick » October 20th, 2016, 10:46 pm

Can you draw a picture of what you're trying to do :confused: I would go to a good hardware/ home improvement store and you'll be able to find what you need. When I installed my system this spring Lowes had everything I needed.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

tsfrance

Post by tsfrance » October 20th, 2016, 11:52 pm

@Gman. The piece in the frost free will unscrew and if I remove it, it will become pipe threads. Yes If I leave it in, it will work with hose thread. The T is so I can run a line to the anti siphon valve and on the other end of the T I can have a normal faucet since my frost free will no longer be acting as a faucet anymore as I need a hose connection for the garden. So the valve on the frost free will always be up and on. One side of the T goes to the anti siphon and the other side will be a normal faucet. Im probably explaining it badly. And yes I did do a single line.

@Jnick. I have a Lowes. They seem to be way under what I can always find at Home Depot though so I try to advoid them. They are only 30 minutes from me and Home Depot is an hour.

LoneRanger

Post by LoneRanger » October 21st, 2016, 12:34 am

The anti-siphon valve needs to go before the T.

tsfrance

Post by tsfrance » October 21st, 2016, 2:49 pm

Either the way I am thinking about doing this is wrong or we are getting wires crossed as happens a lot on the internet. Here is a crude drawing. The red is the frost free faucet and the yellow is a little coupler that will connect into the T. The left side of the T needs to end up as a 1 inch slip to go into the anti siphon and the right side will be just a normal faucet right there on top. Is that wrong??

g-man

Post by g-man » October 21st, 2016, 5:39 pm

I'm guessing that works if you could get the t to seal and be aligned the way you want. And maintain all the antisphon stuff.

I would go this route with one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Brass-Garden-Hos ... B00SIA66Q6

One side you could connect your garden hose. The other side you connect your timer and a short garden hose (sold with the name of leader hose). I would keep the pvc connections inside a valve cover and only bring the leader hose to it. All you need is to convert from the 1in pvc to a garden hose female connection inside the valve cover. At the end of the season, disconnect the leader hose, bleed the system and place the cover. This way is harder to break the pvc pipes/fittings.

There is one small issue with using the 2way valve. The ball valve provides a restriction, but I think you said you had good flow/pressure.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

LoneRanger

Post by LoneRanger » October 21st, 2016, 6:18 pm

As I stated, the anti-siphon device needs to go before the T.

tsfrance

Post by tsfrance » October 21st, 2016, 7:05 pm

LoneRanger wrote:As I stated, the anti-siphon device needs to go before the T.
Lone Ranger, help me please because in my inexperienced mind I think that is what my drawing shows? I would appreciate it if you could explain exactly how that would work.

tsfrance

Post by tsfrance » October 21st, 2016, 7:10 pm

g-man wrote:I'm guessing that works if you could get the t to seal and be aligned the way you want. And maintain all the antisphon stuff.

I would go this route with one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Brass-Garden-Hos ... B00SIA66Q6

One side you could connect your garden hose. The other side you connect your timer and a short garden hose (sold with the name of leader hose). I would keep the pvc connections inside a valve cover and only bring the leader hose to it. All you need is to convert from the 1in pvc to a garden hose female connection inside the valve cover. At the end of the season, disconnect the leader hose, bleed the system and place the cover. This way is harder to break the pvc pipes/fittings.

There is one small issue with using the 2way valve. The ball valve provides a restriction, but I think you said you had good flow/pressure.

I did not know that you could use a hose to connect into the pvc pipe. Doing it that way would be really simple to do. Im just confused though on what Lone Ranger means when he says the T needs to be before the anti siphon valve?

g-man

Post by g-man » October 21st, 2016, 9:37 pm

Loneranger said the anti siphon goes before the T and he is correct. With the recommendation I gave you, a single anti siphon should be placed before the Y splitter.

You won't find a single fitting that will take you from 1in pvc to female garden hose. You will need to go from pvc to thread and then from thread to garden hose. I normally figure it out in the store by assembling all of it and talking to the store employees. I recommend you find a plumbing supply store or a good hardware store (not Lowes or home depot).

g-man

Post by g-man » October 21st, 2016, 9:45 pm

OK a quick search in google proved me wrong. Home depot has this that goes from 3/4in pvc to female hose thread (FHT). It is made by orbits (an irrigation company).

http://m.homedepot.com/p/3-4-in-Slip-x- ... /100130381

I also found this youtube video. He used a galvanized pipe but it shows a similar approach.

https://youtu.be/5_K-xQHi6L0

tsfrance

Post by tsfrance » October 21st, 2016, 9:52 pm

g-man wrote:Loneranger said the anti siphon goes before the T and he is correct. With the recommendation I gave you, a single anti siphon should be placed before the Y splitter.

You won't find a single fitting that will take you from 1in pvc to female garden hose. You will need to go from pvc to thread and then from thread to garden hose. I normally figure it out in the store by assembling all of it and talking to the store employees. I recommend you find a plumbing supply store or a good hardware store (not Lowes or home depot).

Thanks Gman. So I have this straight. My pvc pipe in the ground will connect to the out of the anti siphon and the leader hose from the T will connect to the in on the anti siphon? So looking at it backwards it is pipe, valve, leader hose and then T on faucet? Is that correct?

LoneRanger

Post by LoneRanger » October 22nd, 2016, 4:23 am

tsfrance wrote:So looking at it backwards it is pipe, valve, leader hose and then T on faucet? Is that correct?
Nope. The anti-siphon device would go between the T and the faucet.

tsfrance

Post by tsfrance » October 22nd, 2016, 11:11 am

Ok, now for sure I see what you are saying. Is this your typical anti siphon valve or is it something else because I can't see how to do that?? I was looking at a valve like this. Is this the wrong type??

g-man

Post by g-man » October 22nd, 2016, 12:07 pm

Tsfrance, have you look at the youtube vídeo? It shows a simpler Anti siphon called vacuum breaker. It is legal in most state in hose connections. Check your local codes.

tsfrance

Post by tsfrance » October 22nd, 2016, 12:47 pm

Thank you G-man. I missed that because he was using the term vacuum breaker and the only term I know is anti siphon valve. Now i get it and I hope you can see how I was confused because the only anti siphon valve I know is one pictured above but now I see. I found this one on Amazon and it is the same one the guy in the video uses. Am I correct in that it would just screw on the hose threads and then my adapter would just screw onto it? I guess I would remove the hose thread piece from my frost free faucet and then this would screw into that. Thanks Gman.

https://www.amazon.com/Woodford-34HA-BR ... 79WWWRPK0G

g-man

Post by g-man » October 22nd, 2016, 9:36 pm

I dont see why that one is $24. This one is $8. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0046HA9S6

It is garden hose thread on both input and output.