Modifying system for new shed

The place to discuss irrigation systems, sprinkers and watering
proplat919
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Modifying system for new shed

Post by proplat919 » October 17th, 2016, 6:54 pm

I'm having a 12x16 shed built in a couple weeks and I'm struggling in determining how to modify my current irrigation set up to work with the new addition.

All the heads are circled in red in the area and are on the same zone. The photo has one sprinkler from where I was taking the picture but I put the circle to the left so you know one is there.

What would be the best way to get water all around the building but not shower the shed everytime the system runs?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

J_nick

Re: Modifying system for new shed

Post by J_nick » October 17th, 2016, 10:56 pm

Do city regulations say you can't put it closer to the fence? It would make it a lot easier if you could place the shed in the corner

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

g-man
Grass Type: Mix (mostly KBG)

Post by g-man » October 17th, 2016, 11:36 pm

^+1

Do you want to irrigate the two strips between the fence and shed? Depending on the direction of them, they might be in fairly shade area and with grass that it is not visible.

I think you will need to draw this up with distances and think what you want to accomplish and then have it designed.

rtomek
Grass Type: Elite KBG Sod (unknown cultivars)
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Post by rtomek » October 18th, 2016, 12:06 pm

I agree with a lot of the above. Hunter has the MP rotator strip models (and I'm sure others have similar sprinklers) if you want to get rectangular patterns. However, I wonder with the fences if that area will even get any sun. My assumption is that you'll be happy just to have ground cover of any kind back there so irrigated grass seems ambitious to me since it looks a bit thin compared to the rest of the yard already.

Once that shed goes in, all of that space will won't be used much since it will be narrow, and you won't want the kids back there where you can't see them. Since I see utility poles, I'm guessing there's not underground wires that you have to work around so why not move it back a bit more?

proplat919

Post by proplat919 » October 18th, 2016, 12:33 pm

I will put together a diagram to show distances from the fence line, sprinkler to sprinkler, etc. to help you all out. In regards to the placement of the shed, I could move it closer to the fence line horizontally, but not in depth. I have a 30' building set back and I'm at 32' where it is currently marked to give myself a little cushion. There will just have to be a 7 foot strip of grass behind the shed, which as you have noticed, already thin. I hadn't thought about strip or stationary heads that could be added so that may be a possibility.

LoneRanger
Grass Type: Front/Side - Emblem, Back - Panterra V

Post by LoneRanger » October 19th, 2016, 11:12 am

Delete some heads, pea-gravel & fabric from shed to fence for outside storage & no maintenance, and install new heads for proper coverage

proplat919

Post by proplat919 » October 22nd, 2016, 4:14 pm

Tried to diagram this. Not a great job but should give you an idea of where I was headed with this. The lettered heads are proposed and numbered heads are existing. I realize now that the heads between the shed and fence are likely unnecessary. Coverage is currently poor anyways so open to suggestions.

Tsmith
Grass Type: KBG Bewitched Monostand

Post by Tsmith » October 25th, 2016, 9:49 am

LoneRanger wrote:Delete some heads, pea-gravel & fabric from shed to fence for outside storage & no maintenance, and install new heads for proper coverage
this is pretty much what I did last year when I put my shed in and had irrigation installed around it...my shed had to be 5' in from the back and side fence so i spread the leftover gravel from the gravel pad i built on top of landscape fabric around the back and side then mulched all around. I put some stepping pavers on that side and back then landscaped the front and other side with some shrubs and flowers

seeding behind the shed wasn't an option so I will eventually put additional storage or a compost bin behind the shed as its too much area not to use for something

Here is the thread for my shed

http://aroundtheyard.com/hardscapes-f35 ... 18150.html