The place to discuss irrigation systems, sprinkers and watering
NoleFan
Grass Type: Centipede
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Double Check Valve Alternative?

Post by NoleFan » March 3rd, 2017, 11:25 am

Ok guys and gals.

Newbie to the irrigation world, as in past houses I had only used the good ol hose and sprinkler heads. New house has built in irrigation in the front and sides.

Had to get on YouTube and learn how to work the controller, etc. as the landscaper never went over the system.

Fast forward to the 2nd winter (made it through the first one without incident) in South Georgia, and I drip the faucet that is connected to the piping where the double check valves are. Well I guess there was water in the first check valve, as it has a crack in the side and is leaking.

Can I not have a plumber come and solder the crack to get me by for a year or so? I sent the landscaper a message seeing if he would cut me a deal on the valve and came back with $375 installed, saying the valve costs him $200. Um no, I can get on HD's website and see how much they are to the common man, don't try and make me think you don't get them at cost.

So, can it be soldered, or is there a cheaper alternative that I can replace the expensive double check valve with?

See picture:

Or maybe some rubber and hose clamps around the area and just turn the water flow on when I plan to run it?

bernstem
Grass Type: Front: Solar Eclipse/Award/Bewitched/Moonlight SLT/Prosperity Back: Solar Eclipse Monostand + Bewitched (shade)

Re: Double Check Valve Alternative?

Post by bernstem » March 3rd, 2017, 1:14 pm

$200 is reasonable for a quality double check backflow, though there are less expensive models. You should check with your city as they may require a reduced pressure zone backflow (mine does) which is more expensive than a double check valve. My city also requires yearly inspection and testing of the backflow which my irrigation company does when they winterize.

rtomek
Grass Type: Elite KBG Sod (unknown cultivars)
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Post by rtomek » March 3rd, 2017, 3:00 pm

I would check the prices from a landscape supply rather than HD, one could assume better quality from the landscape supply but maybe the HD version is enough for you. That's probably where the irrigation guy is getting his backflow preventer from.

You definitely could have a plumber fix it rather than an irrigation guy, but I don't see a licensed plumber recommending anything other than replacement for that issue.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » March 3rd, 2017, 4:18 pm

I'm with Bernstem - the laws can be different from town to town.

I put my own system in, and found Sprinkler Warehouse to be my best price (and selection) on almost everything.

Sprinkler Warehouse- Backflow

NoleFan

Post by NoleFan » March 3rd, 2017, 5:54 pm

No laws in this small southern town regarding.

What exactly does it do?

bernstem
Grass Type: Front: Solar Eclipse/Award/Bewitched/Moonlight SLT/Prosperity Back: Solar Eclipse Monostand + Bewitched (shade)

Post by bernstem » March 5th, 2017, 3:56 pm

It prevents contaminants, bacteria and chemicals from the irrigation system and lawn from back siphoning into your, and by extension your town's, drinking water. It is because there is a risk of contaminating the water of a lot of people that many areas have laws requiring backflow preventers on irrigation systems. If you live in an incorporated area or town, I'm actually surprised they don't have a law requiring them.

NoleFan

Post by NoleFan » March 6th, 2017, 9:24 am

I checked. There is a law that one has to be installed, but they are not usually checked/enforced in our town unless it is a new build needing a CO or a house being sold and inspected.

ENVY23
Grass Type: KBG: Midnight, Bluebank, Mazama
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Post by ENVY23 » March 6th, 2017, 4:55 pm

I know it's expensive, but even if the city/county is lax on inspection and enforcement, you need to have it replaced and tested to make sure it's working properly. If it's not, anything you put on your lawn(fertilizers/pesticides/etc) will make its way back into your homes water supply. The last thing you want is for you/spouse/kids/pets to be drinking and bathing in contaiminated water. Leave the system off until it's replaced and tested. Just consider it an expensive lesson, and winterize the system next year.

LoneRanger
Grass Type: Front/Side - Emblem, Back - Panterra V

Post by LoneRanger » March 11th, 2017, 5:39 pm

ENVY23 wrote:
March 6th, 2017, 4:55 pm
.. anything you put on your lawn(fertilizers/pesticides/etc) will make its way back into your homes water supply..
That is false. However, it may, if conditions are right.

LoneRanger
Grass Type: Front/Side - Emblem, Back - Panterra V

Post by LoneRanger » March 11th, 2017, 5:47 pm

That maybe an RPZ. I can't read the labeling.

ezael
Grass Type: Fielder, Arcadia, Merit, Quantum Leap KBG

Post by ezael » April 12th, 2017, 10:36 pm

https://www.amazon.com/Rain-Bird-JTVAS0 ... B000IL66KO

you dont need double checks for irriation...just do the anti siphon valve.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » April 12th, 2017, 10:46 pm

Many municipalities would disagree with you.

bernstem

Post by bernstem » April 12th, 2017, 11:07 pm

Anti-siphon valves need to be installed higher than the highest irrigation head on the system. If the current valve is in a valve box in the ground, the anti-siphon will likely not work properly. Not only that, but as Andy stated many areas do not allow them as the only backflow prevention on an irrigation system.

ezael
Grass Type: Fielder, Arcadia, Merit, Quantum Leap KBG

Post by ezael » April 15th, 2017, 3:17 pm

bernstem wrote:
April 12th, 2017, 11:07 pm
Anti-siphon valves need to be installed higher than the highest irrigation head on the system. If the current valve is in a valve box in the ground, the anti-siphon will likely not work properly. Not only that, but as Andy stated many areas do not allow them as the only backflow prevention on an irrigation system.

It does have to be at the highest point in the system but I do work in the water industry and have a surveys license for inspecting cross connections and municipalities don't have much say in what you do, a plumbing inspector has more say. Municipalities care more on the commercial side of things. A double check is a lot more expensive and defiantly overkill. A PVB (pressure vacuume breaker) is the norm for irrigation but an anti siphone is fine given you are putting at the heighest point and there is no back pressure.

greatguy
Grass Type: 419/common/ whatever else comes with 10 year old un-certified 419

Post by greatguy » July 14th, 2017, 8:22 pm

I know this post is a few month old, but i wanted to throw my 2 cents in.

I hope someone here is smarter than me.

I never understood the backflow preventer thing.
My guess is that is there is no code on what type of pipe is used in irrigation and is the only reason for the backflow preventer.

If there is a main line water break, the fire department has to open up a fire hydrant, or whatever other reasons for a possible backflow. Is there any chance of my ground our surface water getting back in the municipal water system? I doubt it.

The other argument. Irrigation systems dont run as often as water supplied to the home creating mold to grow in the pipes. I guess in the summer time when half the homes go on vacation the mold in those pipes dont matter. at that time the irrigation water would be safer then the water running to the house.

Either way I never understood the backflow preventer.

I also know to spend the extra $90 and get a DCVA, The PVB's fail twice as much.